3 // soars with joy

"What?"

"What?"

Esme laughs, actually throws her head back and laughs as she gains speed, her swing moving to and fro with vigour. Her blonde hair is flying everywhere, and Jaxon is mesmerised for a second and savours her laugh.

It's like the world stops. Esme is rarely so carefree; rarely smiles and rarely laughs, that whenever she does, he is completely taken off guard. Even after fifteen years of friendship.

But then the swing starts squeaking like crazy, and Jaxon snaps out of his trance.

"The swing's too old and rusted, Esme. Slow down."

Esme does, and as she does so, Jaxon speaks again.

"What do you mean 'write about now'?"

"Now. Right now. You miss something? Miss this playground and our memories." Esme says, and that's the most he has ever heard her speak.

Something clicks.

He immediately stands up and grabs her hand, sprinting towards the direction of his house with Esme protesting quietly against him. He shouts a greeting to his mother and tears into his room and grabs his guitar. He strums until he finds a nice tune.

Esme sits on his bed, watching him with cautious eyes. She has clammed up again.

Do you remember the playground?

It's growing old

It's lonely with no one around

To remember it anymore

The swings have rusted now

But they still hold my weight

The memories of us and the playground

Is all that I have left

I would wait forever for you

Even if it breaks my heart in two...

Because you said

You will come back

You said

Don't hold back

Esme is quiet for a moment, but then she opens up and starts clapping whilst smiling so bright it almost blinds him.

And his heart soars with joy.