nightmares

Tom had many fears.

Wrists. Failure. Being alone.

But one stood above all.

Deep down, rooted in his soul...

What if he was actually insane? All the things he saw and felt were fake. Nothing more than a fleeting dream.

It gave Tom plenty of nightmares. Usually, the boy could just shake them off; nightmares rarely scared him out of his sleeping state.

But there was something weird about tonight's dream.

Tom glanced around him.

Red. Dark red. Maybe a purple? He stood on top of a red-purple bridge. He placed his hand—wood. What kind of wood was this color? He peeked over the edge.

The color slowly faded into black. Tom couldn't help but wonder how long he would fall before he would hit the ground. Maybe an eternity?

Eyes.

Tom shot up and stilled.

Eyes were upon him. Bright eyes with no iris or pupil. Blonde curls torn by some form of long claws. A tattered sundress fluttered, yet the wind remained absent.

She was watching him.

He started to walk down the bridge. His fists clenched.

Shoeless, grotesque feet danced along far too small rails. Dead blue and brown clashed with the red. She giggled in the distance.

Tom...

Said boy let out a whimper as he sped up his steps.

Tom...?

The girl started humming as too many people started whispering his name over and over again. Tom stumbled as he bolted, sprinting across the bridge. God, when would it end?

"Tom!"

He stopped and looked up. The whispers had stopped, and he recognized that voice.

"Tom, why the hell are you running?" Edd asked, laughing. Panting, Tom looked around. Edd had come out of nowhere, standing in the middle of a platform. He could see more bridge after it.

He let out a nervous laugh. The girl, the humming girl was behind him. "Uh—can't you tell? She's here, Edd." He awkwardly rubbed his arm as he looked down.

"Who's here?" Edd asked in curiosity. He looked around.

Tom looked back up at Edd and froze.

She was staring at him with a grin, towering over Edd. Long claws dug into Edd's shoulders. A grin spread across her face, fangs showing. Tom whimpered.

"...Her. Behind you." He swallowed.

Edd raised an eyebrow and looked behind him, his nose brushing against her dead yellow sundress. He turned back to Tom and laughed. "There's nothing there, Tom."

"But... but..." Tom watched as she slowly dragged her nails up to Edd's neck. His breath hitched as he just watched. Long, impossible claws wrapped around his neck. Dead, broken, bruised... anything other than normal. Discolored and gross.

She tilted her head, face a dark blue. Her grin didn't change.

SNAP!

Tom let out a terrified yelp.

Edd... Edd...

Tom couldn't. He couldn't, he couldn't. He jumped and started running, running further. He couldn't see an end, nothing but darkness. Her feet pattered behind him, becoming louder until they hooked right against him, and—