The kissing quest

The sun was shining brightly upon Arendelle, even during the afternoon hours. Cassandra finished packing her things and was ready to set her foot on her ship to Ovrilon, but instead, she decided to give one more tour to the castle of Arendelle.

Walking through the hallways, she was greeted by surprised gazes and smiles of the staff members. During her little adventure, her mind wandered back to a particular individual.

Elsa... She didn't know if what Anna told her was true. Sighing as she felt the butterflies in her stomach, and with a slight shake of her head, she continued to walk, until a painting came to her sight. A tall, strawberry-blonde-haired man with green eyes, moustache and sideburns. A woman with brown hair tied up in a bun, fair skin and eyes like Elsa's. The man looked exactly like the male version of Anna.

Speaking of Anna, the soft sound of approaching footsteps in the distance caught Cassandra's ears, becoming louder and louder with each step. Moments later, princess Anna came to sight, smiling at the Ovrilonian.

"Hi, Cassandra!" She waved at her with her usual bubbly behaviour and stopped beside the warrior. "What are you doing?"

Cass turned her gaze to the princess, smiling back at the younger woman. "Hello, Anna. Please, call me Cass." She paused for a moment, examining the painting once again with fondness in her eyes. "Well, I was just walking around, and then I came across this painting. I stopped, but I don't know why. Hope you don't mind me asking, but...who are these people?"

Anna laughed nervously, but Cassandra could hear the pain in her voice, she was sure. "Well..." She swallowed, and lazily let her hands fall to her side like she had given up on something. "They are our parents. King Agnarr and Queen Iduna."

Her eyes widened in shock, and for a few seconds, Cass forgot how to speak like a normal human being. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean t-to-" She didn't have the chance to finish and was cut off by Anna.

"No, no! It's okay; you didn't know. And besides..." She shrugged. "I don't mind." She tried to giggle, still painfully. Cassandra raised an elegant eyebrow, giving the princess a questioning look. "I mean, it's been years, and now I have Elsa and Elsa has me and that can't stop us from being happy, but-"

"But you still miss them dearly." Cass finished her sentence.

And then something in Anna suddenly torn apart. Tears run down from her turquoise blue eyes as she sniffed, her heart filled with sadness and grief for her beloved parents. "Yes." She sobbed. "But enough of me crying over the past!" The princess smiled, but the tears kept flowing like a river after a rainy day. "I barely know anything about your family. Besides your..." She paused to find the right words, blushing faintly. "not so nice father."

Cassandra smiled back at her. Anna gestured towards a nearby window seat where they could sit down, and the two women took a seat next to each other. "You know Anna...having a terrible parent is still much better than losing your loving mother and father." She leaned back in her seat and took a deep, shaky breath, trying to calm her nerves. "My mother...she died when I was at the age of ten - precisely the day when she gave birth to my little brother. Poor boy died the same day, and he didn't even have a name." The warrior shook her head as a small chuckle left her. "I...also have an uncle, Zander. He's my mom's younger brother, and also the general of the Ovrilonian army. Besides me, of course, we lead the army together. He was the one who took care of me after the Queen died. Mom was..." She opened her mouth, trying to make a sound, but nothing came out. Instead, sadness began to rise in her body. She gulped, trying to speak again. "...a gentle and kind woman - a good leader and fair queen of her people. It's funny because I was totally mommy's little girl as a child." The memory of a small Cassandra hiding behind her mother's skirt popped into her head, making the older woman smile. "Whenever I was scared, she always found a way to make me feel safe. My father didn't approve, but she read me bedtime stories and sang lullabies at night to make me fall asleep. She was my protector, who was always there whenever I needed her." She gulped again, feeling a lump in her throat and felt stupid for sensing her own eyes filling with tears. Pulling out a handkerchief from her pocket, she wiped her grey orbs, sniffing a bit. "Queen Zara was the bravest woman I've ever known. Or maybe she was just stubborn; I don't even know anymore." As she got older, the memory of Zara faded. She no longer remembered her smell or the feeling of her soft, raven hair, which looked exactly like her daughter's. "She was far from the best mother, but she treated me well, and I loved her, I-I still do. Just like when she was alive, I keep struggling with making decisions. My mom did that for me almost all the time. So whenever I have to choose, I think about what mother would do. I-" An approaching vision took control of her body, forcing her back to remember the darkness of her past.