The King is dead

A/N: Hello! This chapter is a little bit short, but I hope you can still enjoy it! Thanks for 1k reads!

-

"And what the hell are you going to do with it?" The fallen king laughed, a trail of blood dripping from his mouth, mixed with his saliva. Everyone stared in horror and anticipation, awaiting the crown princess' next move as she dropped her sword to the ground. "Force it down my throat so I could die by your hands?!"

Sighing, Cassandra shook her head. She wondered for a moment before speaking, scared if she's not making the right decision. "You forget something." Else still hoped Cass might choose another way to end these years of suffering. She didn't care if Wulfacar lives or dies, but her lover, the person who brought her so much joy is not a killer. "I'm not like you, father. Yes, you are one of the reasons I was born, but that doesn't mean I have to become a monster like you. And I won't, because I experienced your insanity on my own skin."

She stopped briefly for a moment and looked back at Elsa, who's staring at her with a hopeful twinkle in her puppy eyes. Her voice softened, and her lips curled into a loving smile as her gaze met her lover's. "Power and money are both nice things, but this is not what life's about. Have you ever loved someone so badly that you've done anything to make them happy? If not, then you never experienced the beauty of life." She gulped, curling her fingers into a fist. Her voice wasn't shaking, but her body trembled with the bottled up emotions as she revealed her true self that she hid from her people for too many years. "Happiness isn't a thing; it's a person. And without having a person like that, let it be a lover, a relative or a friend, life is completely pointless. That's why true love always wins because the villains don't have any love left in their hearts. They have nothing to fight for, just like you, Wulfacar." Elsa couldn't hold back as her eyes were already filled with tears. She smiled weakly at the princess, and the older woman returned the gesture. But Cassandra kept going; her attention still fixed on her crying lover. "I found that person, and for her, I promised to overcome the darkness within myself, the shadows that were all caused by you, father."

She broke the eye contact to turn back to her father who's trembling body is still laying on the cold ground. "So no, I won't force it down your throat, and I have no intention to kill you myself. But you'll never leave this peaceful kingdom, not while you are still alive." The air felt colder around them as she leaned down and grabbed Wulfacar by his collar, forcing him to stand up on his slender legs. The man seemed scared as he looked at his daughter with pleading eyes, but that didn't seem to soften Cassandra's heart.

Gazing at each other, Cass' face stood only a few inches away from his. So in his death, he can remember the pain in the woman's eyes that reflected her and the Ovrilonian people's tragic memories. "It was you who caused all this pain, all this fear and that's why you'll die by your own hands." She let go of him with a slightly violent push. Her slender fingers barely managed to open the lid of the bottle as they shook from the heat of the moment. "I'll give you this bottle of poison, " She reached her hand out to him. "and you'll force it down your own throat. Because this is what true monsters, the people who find pleasure in suffering and death deserve."

Wulfacar's gaze shifted to the liquid in his daughter's hand, and then back to Cassandra's eyes. "And what if I'm not taking it?" He asked with a disgusted grimace on his face.

Pressing the bottle against the King's chest, Cass handled it to him. He gasped and wrapped his fingers around it, holding the small object against his chest tightly as the woman lowered her hands to her side. "Be my guest, and I'll get you another one. We have all day, father. But as I said, you'll only leave this place in a coffin. If I feel generous, of course."

"Y-you can't do this to me! I'm Wulfacar Reeve, the King of Ovrilon!"

"You never deserved to become a Reeve and a king either," Cass said to him, her voice softer than before. Her father scarred her in more than one ways, but she's not angry anymore. As soon as he's gone, her life can take a huge, positive turn for what feels like the first time.