Chapter Four: Hexed

A/N: Hi, yeah sorry I had to pull it down. I had to fix something up on it that may have been minor-ish but I still needed to fix it anyway...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Four: Hexed

I awake alone the next morning and feel rather sluggish as I pull myself from the bed. My body is heavy but I also feel wrapped up in something. Putting a hand to my neck, I feel a bandage woven around it. Then to my chest, head and arms and my ankle. All had plasters and bandages. I frown while making my way downstairs and spot Anne sitting in a chair downstairs. I make out that it is a living room with a fireplace and an old TV.

I open my mouth but Anne interrupts me without looking up from her book.

“Cody did it.”

But-

“Yes I told him you’ll be angry and he said ‘does it look like I care?’” 

Then where-

“He went out.”

“Stop reading my mind.”

“Don’t need to do that. You’re too predictable.”

Grrr. I make my way to the door and see a pair of old sneakers about my size and shove them on. “I’ll go get him.”

“He should be near the edge of the farm by now,” she calls as I shut the door.

As I half limp half walk out towards the overgrown paddocks I could make out a storm brewing in the distance. My stomach gurgling could be the thunder at the volume it was suddenly playing at. Urgh when did I eat last? Yesterday? Eh probably. 

A sudden incline through the grass and snow snaps me out of my thoughts towards food as I almost lose my balance, reawakening the throbbing in my ankle.

“Ow…”

Steadying myself, I make my way up to find another rise but this time more balanced and in the distance I see a familiar breed of idiot.

I found him, standing at the top of a cliff. Coming up to him, I saw that he was looking out over at the landscape far below of a ruined city that was once a major metropolis some ten years ago. Now it was just an empty shell of once was. In the very centre is a large white wall circling around the very remnant of the city still alive. A remnant of humanity still alive, sheltered. Still safe. Still deluded into thinking that it was safe for the rest of eternity. The fence supported a huge globe like structure made entirely from this strange blue energy force field which keep everything out, out and everything in, in.

Stopping beside him, I couldn’t help but say, “It’s like they’re living in a bubble.”

“It’s only a matter of time. All it will take is one mistake,” I hear my brother voice absentmindedly as if talking to no one in particular. “One wrong move and their deluded sanctuary will come crashing down around them and then they’ll have to crawl around in the mud and corpses to survive like the rest of us that they’ve so conveniently forgotten.”

I held in the usual sigh, instead look up at the storm coming closer.

“That isn’t going to turn into a Miasma storm is it?” I ask. Better not be. I’m not in the mood for the whole ‘screaming and running for our lives’ at the moment. Normally Miasma takes on the look of blood red and purple clouds but you can never be sure.

“Anne said that there won’t be any for a few weeks at least. We should be alright for a while.”

“Well that’s comforting…” I mutter. Just need to focus on the beasts, Fencers, Suppressors and anything else that wants to kill us. Oh and the lack of food and water, shelter, clothing, winter…yeah the list goes on.