Chapter Seven: Flawed

Cody had wondered off a good way, probably for his ‘alone time’ to ‘think’. I watch Cody, his mind somewhere else entirely. I didn’t like the way the emotions flickered across his face and never seem to settle for very long. He wants to join. Desperately wants to get back at the world in any way he can. And Jack fuelled it with this made up ‘opportunity’.

“It’s becoming his conviction, in a way,” Anne comes up beside me.

“And that’ll turn into obsession. And it’ll get him killed in the end,” I look down to her, seeing that her eyes never left Cody.

“It’s already an obsession,” her sharp eyes now on my face. “It’s all he’s thinking about most of the time now.”

And that struck a chord in me and I didn’t like it. It was as if he was pulling himself away. “Cody?” I call for his attention.

He frowns as I interrupt him, “What?”

“Should we go?” I tilt my head a little in the direction towards the exit of the city. It would be best if we move on as quickly as possible. If there’s a war coming, I’d rather be as far away as possible.

He looks between me and Anne before I saw something click in his jaw as he sets it. I mentally grimace.

“I’m staying.”

“No,” I immediately snap on impulse. “You already said you’re just here to get information. And you have. We need to move on.” Somewhere far, far away. Like another continent far away.

“I’ve changed my mind.”

Of course he has. I can see the stubborn glint already but I’m not going to back down so easily either. “And what are you going to accomplish exactly?”

“The Fence falling for starters.”

The fucking Fence… “Like that’s going to help. There is a war on the doorstep and I for one don’t want to get mixed up in it. Jack is only going to use you and he won’t bat an eyelid as you’re torn to shreds by machinegun fire.”

“So what? At least I will accomplish something.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I’m tired of running and living in fear all the fucking time. I want to do something with my sorry life. I want to get back at the people who shut their doors on us. If it weren’t for that, Mum would still be alive!”

I almost growl at him, “And tearing down this wall,” I motion with a free hand towards the damn thing looming over us, “isn’t going to bring her back! It’ll only get you killed.”

“At least it’ll make me feel better.”

“And I’m sure the wall and everyone in it give a shit about your feelings! I don’t want to be even a thousand miles of this when everything comes down around us!”

“Then don’t follow me!”

“Like hell I’m going to let you go off on your own!” I think we’re shouting loudly enough to lure in every fucking soldier in the vicinity. But neither of us particularly care at the moment.

“I’ll be fine! I’ve always been fine-”

“That’s because I was there to stop you from doing something stupid.”

“You’re shitting me right? Half the time you go charging in and make more of a mess of it. If it weren’t for you blundering in, it would have gone quicker and smoother. But instead you waltz in, screw us over and then have the hide to tell me it’s my fault. Don’t fuck with me, Kae.”