Kimchi

Akira's mother had a few clothes that were left before she went to work in Tokyo, I tried asking about the mysterious woman but the small girl didn't have much to say as she pulled her pants over her hips. I assumed it was a sore spot to be left alone to take care of an elderly grandparent while she went away. I couldn't say I blamed Akira's resistance to talk, but I was curious after her grandfather and I had a little talk.

"Your shoes are still wet."

"That's ok." I took them from her as we left the house and went outside to the front. She struggled putting her rain boots on her foot as she jumped around the deck but finally managed to get her right foot in. I smiled at her impatience as she still struggled to push her left foot in, but let my amused face turn to surprise as I looked out at the view I hadn't seen last night. "It's beautiful out here"

The fog rolled over the fields and the puddles collected on the ground but the simple area was more calming than any other place in the world. I did yoga for a while when I began teaching but that never did anything for me, now standing there seeing such a simple view had my breathing steady and my body let go of any stress that I was holding onto.

"Everyone else wants to leave home and go to big city to work. I want to stay here." Akira said standing next to me.

I looked down at her with such admiration that I almost lost it when I remembered I could touch her. Wrapping my arm around her shoulder and laying my head on hers I tried to think of the words I wanted to say, it would be too weird to express my want to stay there with her forever but that was how I felt. "I would be happy here too."

She glanced up at me with a sparkle in her eye. If she didn't like me before there was a big chance my points went up by saying that. "We need the cart" She ran down the deck and to the covered garage area where she moved some things around before rolling out a garden wagon. The walk was so serene, no one else traveled on the small paved road except us. The  cart's wheels were the only sound that filled the air as we held hands and traveled through the fog. I'm not sure wha she meant by going to town, I lived in the city part but we didn't seem to be walking that way as we turned and went down another road, this time met with a few stands.

We let go of each other before the old ladies who sat and watched could see us, they seemed cranky and disinterested until they turned and saw Akira all at once. Their smiled lifted up and they even got out of their seats to greet the young smiling girl. I felt out of place so I stood back as Akira bowed slightly in front of them and discussed the products that were on the shelves. She then pulled out a few mini jars and handed them to the woman, "They are still aging at home but I tried a new recipe for spicier pickled vegetables. You'll have to tell me how you like it."

"Who is your friend?" One of the younger ones asked. She never looked over at me but Akira did as she smiled. "She's helping me on the farm."

One difference I loved between Americans and Japanese is the way people act when you talk to them, back home the people may nod as they do other things but everyone including Akira made sure to watch me very closely as I spoke, she would constantly make noises showing she was understanding and I absolutely loved it. The older ladies showed the same respect to her as Akira explained her grandfathers state to them.

"Rice."

Turning as a big bag fell behind me I smiled at the woman who didn't get involved in the conversation. "Thank you." I said in her language. Picking up the sack I put it in the wagon and she continued to watch me. I cleared my throat feeling a little uneasy and she smiled with a few missing teeth.

"I like you." Turning so she was digging through some stuff behind her she pulled out a jar and handed it to me. "Rice vinegar. Good."

Saying thank you once again I bowed slightly as it was handed to me.

"You white American." Dropping the jar into the wagon my mouth hung and I looked over to Akira who looked at some onions, she clearly couldn't hear what was going on so I turned my head back to the old woman who's face was clearly serious. "You people don't last long here."

I wasn't sure how to respond to her words so I let my eyes speak for me as I waited for her to continue.

"I hope to see you again." A smile appeared on her face and I only looked down understanding what she meant.

"Ready Sensei?" Akira put all the things that filled her arms into the wagon and looked up at me. "Are you ok?"

I smiled as she started pulling the wagon back uphill, her feet struggling to latch on the ground as she used all of her weight to make sure it didn't pull her back down the steep hill.

"I'll see you soon." I told the old lady in Japanese. She only nodded and I went over to the small girl and took the handle from her, it was a lot easier for me to pull. I walked normally up the hill with my hands in my pockets as she kicked some rocks from her path. The whole walk was quite except for her stepping into the puddles in the middle of the road, she watched the ripples surround her rubber boots before continuing.

"Do you want to see what my grandpa sells?" She asked grabbing the bag of rice and putting it on her shoulder. I nodded as she stumbled back, my hand catching her from behind as she smiled and went up the stairs. Taking a few of the things I almost felt guilty that I hadn't been there sooner for her, even though she was very capable of doing all of this on her own I couldn't imagine the struggle she went through day after day. Did she ever have a chance to be a kid? "This is the cabbage I grow." She said leading me to the back of the house.

There were a couple of rows and I crossed my arms admiring the work she had done, behind us were big round wooden chests that had a strong smell, when she opened them and took off a weighted wooden chunk I saw underneath the cabbage that was soaked in a red sauce.

"It's like Korean kimchi, but sweeter."

"You make this yourself?"

Her smile showed how proud she was as she put the wood back and closed it up. "We get other ingredients from town but we grow a lot here." She skipped over to her tiny bin. And knelt down by the low faucet "This is where I wash the cabbage and cut it." She studied her knife that seemed to be dull and I looked out at the cabbage again not wanting her to see my frown.

"Do you do all of this yourself?"

"Hai," she seemed to forget our conversation in English as she switched to Japanese while cleaning her cutting board. "grandpa used to help but is unable after his stroke."

For some reason it clicked in my head why she was always so tired or out of it in class, she took care of a business, took care of her grandfather, and school. How could one small person be able to do all of that? I kicked myself mentally for getting onto her all the time for missing work. Bending down in front of her I used my hand to bring her chin up to look at me, I wanted to say something but I only smiled as she scrunched her nose in my direction. My blonde waves mixed with her brown hair as we kissed softly, our lips were becoming familiar as we moved at the same time to tilt our heads in different directions and connect them Again.

"Maybe I can help." I whispered only inches away from her.

"This is my cutting board." She joked raising an eyebrow.

"I'll get my own then." I patted her cheek playfully knowing fully well I was invested in something I had only known for two days.