It's Been A Year

July 20, 2020

Ethan Lew's first birthday

"Good morning, sunshine." Kaycee whispered as she entered her now one year old's room.

Ethan fuzzed a bit, but a few minutes later he was awake and happy. Sean followed into the child's room after his girlfriend picked their son up and startin singing happy birthday to him.

"I can't believe it's been a year since we've had him." Kaycee said almost as a gasp.

"I can't believe we survived a year." Sean laughed.

Ethan, confused as his parents chatted, started laughing, making the young couple laugh as well.

The two hadn't planned a big party for their baby. They didn't think it was necessary. All Ethan needed was his parents, grandparents, aunts and uncle, and two other babies whose moms had become Kaycee's friends. That little group of people was coming over to their house later that day, which made Kaycee go into panick-cleaning mood. Luckily for her, her friends were teen mothers too, so no one would judge her even if her house was upside down.

As soon as Kaycee tidied up everything, Ethan woke up from a nap. His mom quickly got him ready for the visits they would receive, and handed the child to Sean. She got ready herself and when she came out of her room, the doorbell rang. The little family went all together towards the door and opened it to find both Sean and Kaycee's families outside.

"Happy birthday, my love." Laura said as she took him from Sean's arms and kissed his chubby cheeks.

A few minutes later, Kaycee's friends arrived with their kids, and Ethan was happily waiting to play with the other babies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

".....Happy birthday to you...." Everyone ended the song clapping as Ethan smashed a small yellow cake Sean had made for him. 

The infant's clothes were a mess, but Kaycee didn't care because she knew he'd grow out of them soon anyway.

After everyone gave Ethan gifts, hugs and kisses, people started leaving. The only one left inside the house was Laura, Brad and Kylie waiting for her outside in their car.

"You've done well, sweetheart." Laura told Kaycee, scaring her a bit as she was cleaning up pieces of wrap paper on the floor.

When Kaycee got back to reality she smiled, "thank you, mom. I could have never done any of this without you, or without any of you guys. Not just today but since before Ethan got into this world." She pulled her mom in for a hug.

"I'll always be here, my baby." Her mom said as they hugged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before Ethan went to bed, Sean and Kaycee decided to 'chat' with their kid, at least pretend to.

"Hi, baby. Last year at this time, you had only been on this earth for three hours. We had just met you, and the instant we looked into your eyes, you stole our hearts. Mama loves you, you know that?" Kaycee smiled.

"M-m-mama." Ethan said like it was nothing as Sean and Kaycee's eyes widened.

"He-he-h-e spoke. Oh my god, he said his first word." Sean shook his head, not wanting to believe what had just happened.

"You are the best thing that ever happened to me, kid", Sean said, "aside from your gorgeous mother, obviously." He smirked, as he knew he made Kaycee blush.

Sean sang once again that lullaby he wrote for Ethan before he was even born, and the child soon fell asleep.

With a big yawn, the one year old fell asleep completely, and Kaycee went to lay him down in his crib.

"We have a one year old, babe." Kaycee whispered to Sean as they watched their little miracle sleep. 

"I know, I refuse to accept it." The boy said with a playful grumpy face, shaking his head.

"I can't wait 'till we make another one." Kaycee said under her breath, Sean heard her.

"Wait what?" He said shocked and confused.

"Oh, nothing, bubba. Come on , let's go to bed." She said passing by his side and kissing his cheek before she walked all the way to their shared bedroom.