Twelve: Lanling Part One

Koi Tower, Lanling

Koi Tower, Lanling

"Wuyang-didi," Wei Wuxian glanced at Wuyang, who walked beside him, his eyes visibly in awe looking around the place. They're inside Koi Tower's premises, and this place shows luxury everywhere you look.

"Yes, Sir Wei?" Wu Yang returned the older's gaze.

"Were you born in Yunmeng?" Wei Wuxian asked, there is curiosity in his eyes, but there's also hesitancy as the question sent him massive tug on his chest. How he dearly missed the streets of Yunmeng.

Wu Yang nodded. "I think so."

"Ha? What do you mean by that?"

There is a complex look on Wu Yang's usually bright and enthusiastic face before he decided to reply, "My parents died when I was just a baby. A couple whose friends with my parents took me in and raised me. The two of them later died too before I even turned eight. I have been orphaned and lived in the streets after that."

Wei Wuxian felt the weight of that sorrow so thick in Wu Yang's voice, but he could also hear the happiness that is present in his current lifestyle. "I have always been wondering. But after hearing what you just said, is it safe to say you and Xian Yin were not brothers by birth?"

Wu Yang nodded, "I met Xian Yin after three years of roaming alone. Him and Zhou-baba happened to pass by Yunmeng and found me. I left Yunmeng with them."

"And this Zhou-baba?"

"Zhou-baba was an old cultivator, he said he was from a Clan of travelling cultivators, I forgot which one," Wu Yang laughs softly at this, "Only a few years before they met me in Yunmeng, Zhou-baba happened to find Xian Yin in Yiling, wandering on his own, sometimes hanging with the thugs. That's why Xian Yin has that sharp tongue."

"I see," Wei Wuxian mumbled, and he doesn't know where to put all these feelings. How these kids were left on their own, alone in the harsh cold streets, fending against the cruelty of the world. But it also made him realize that there are still good people in the world who would take in those who are abandoned, "What happened to Mister Zhou?"

Wu Yang stared at Wei Wuxian for the longest time without saying anything. It made the latter panic, maybe he was prying too much it made the boy upset. But before Wei Wuxian could take his question back, Wu Yang finally spoke, "Sir Wei, we actually met about a year ago."

"Huh? When? In Yuetong Town? That wasn't a year already, was it?"

Wu Yang shook his head, "No, before that." He smiled, "I really couldn't remember much. But Zhou-baba, Xian Yin and I happened to come across a demon. It uses poisonous mist or something. Zhou-baba was exposed to it directly as he protected me and Xian Yin. My brother and I are both delirious all through that. So, when you arrived and defeated the demon for us, you also helped extracting some bit of poison out Zhou-baba. You did the best you could, it at least delayed his death for a good few days."