Ice Breaker.

We had set out at dawn and made for the mountain pass. It pained me to pass so close to the Mines of Moria, my home, and not visit it. It had been just over a millenia since I had last layed eyes upon the halls of my dwarven father and the one time I wished to visit, Gandalf insisted we go over the mountains.

I had taken my black scarf off and had wrapped it round Pippin who was shivering violently as the fellowship trudged through the snow. My dark cloak I had given to Merry though it dragged behind him because it was too big. Being an elf, I didn't feel the cold that much so me and Legolas made sure the rest of the fellowship was comfortable. Frodo seemed fine, I asked him every few minutes if he was warm enough but he seemed to talk less and less these last few days.

After I was certain StarLight had been properly rested from the day before, I let Merry and Pippin into the saddle. Though they were mentally adults, they still had the body of a small child so I didn't want them to freeze to death.

It was around midday when I heard one of the hobbits yelp. The rest of us turned to see Frodo slip in the snow and go tumbling downhill. Lucky, Aragorn came to his aid and helped him to his feet. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw he was unharmed but I grew curious as I saw that he was much less concerned for himself as he should be. Instead of checking himself to see if he was hurt, he was more concerned with checking his neck for something.

It was then that I saw the glimmer of gold that Boromir had just picked up from the snow. It was the ring. I felt myself stiffen and my fists clench at the prospect of Boromir even touching the ring. Even Nasha bared her teeth, sensing there was something wrong.

Frodo looked up at Boromir and I could have sworn I saw tears brining in the Hobbit's eyes.

"Boromir," Aragorn breathed out, concern laced in his voice as he looked up at the Stewart of Gondor.

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing..." Boromir spoke softly, lucky my elf ears had picked up on it,"such a little thing..." He continued staring at the ring as though nothing else mattered as he made to touch the ring.

"Boromir!" Aragorn spoke louder this time, snapping Boromir out of his trance, "Give the ring to Frodo."

After what seemed like hours in which Bromor took his time to walk over to Aragorn and Frodo he chuckled, "As you wish, I care not."

With that he dropped the ring into Frodo's outstretched hands and ruffled the Hobbit's hair before turning and continuing to walk with the fellowship as though nothing had occured. He swung his sheild over his back and avoided the gaze of me and the rest of the group.

I turned back to look at Frodo and I saw Aragorn relax his hand on his sword. I didn't blame him, all of us felt that Boromir wasn't to be trusted.

I patted Nasha's head and calmed her down before I gingerly started to walk as well.

Because me and Legolas weren't slowed down by a bit of cold and snow, we were sent ahead to find a safe path. We walked in silence, much like our watch last night. However, this time it was my turn to break the silence.

"I have visited the Greenwood of old many times and have been in the audience of your father, King Thranduil. Why is it then, that I have not seen you before the council of Elrond?" I turned to Legolas, trying many best to forget the argument we had the night before.

The blonde-hairded elf looked at me with a puzzeling look before answering, "I spend most of my time defending the borders of my kingdom with the castle guard. For centuries now the Greenwood has become known as Mirkwood. I believe that is why you have not seen me at many of your visits, but my Ada speaks highly of your skills, Lady Sapphire."