Life and Death.

It had been a tough day for the King, for that he had my sympathy. I didn't know Théodred personally but I had heard stories about Rohan's prince.

I had no idea what must have been going through Théoden's mind that day. He had just woken up from a living nightmare to find his kingdom ransacked and his beloved son dead.

The funeral was that afternoon. With an hour or so until the prince was due to be burried, Legolas took me to the healers to get me properly looked at.

They cleaned and dressed my wounds, applying ointments and medicine where necessary. With a fresh black tunic now on, I felt extremely better. By the time we were called to the King's side, I felt like my old self again.

Me, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn and Gandalf walked behind the King, our heads bowed respectfully as Théodred's body was carried in front of us down the roads of Edoras.

We followed him all the way through the city and out of the gates, towards the tombs of the Kings of Rohan.

As we neared the tomb, covered with white simbelmynë flowers, Éowyn Bagan to sing. She held back tears and tried to stop her voice from cracking as she watched her cousin's body being set inside it's tomb.

"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended
giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende
on Meduselde thæt he ma no wære
his dryhtne dyrest and maga deorost." Her voice was haunting, carrying over us all.

Every citizen of Edoras was gathered around us, shrouded in black, mourning the lose of their prince. Éowyn's voice drowned out the wind as she sang, her lips quivering as her cousin's grave was closed.

***

While the rest of us retired to the Golden Hall to eat, Gandalf stayed with Théoden who understandably did not want to leave his son's grave so soon.

Once in the hall, we were given food and drink. It was just some cold cuts of meat, some bread and some cheese but we were all greatfull.

I was particularly famished because when I had visited the healers earlier that day, some of their medicine had made me nauseous and throw up.

I looked opposite me to where Legolas sat. He was eating the bread and cheese but when he saw my already empty plate, he offered me the cold cuts.

"Minding your figure, Princess?" I mocked, taking the meat from his plate and munching down on it.

Legolas rolled his eyes and was about to retort something when the doors to the hall opened. In came Gandalf and Théoden with two children in tow, wrapped in Gandalf's cloak.

"Bring hot food and water for these children, they have traveled far to get to us," Gandalf said as Éowyn came forward and set the children down on the table.

A few minutes later and two bowls of stew were served to the children along with a jug of water.

Once Éowyn had sat down to talk to the little children, she sat up and strode over to the rest of us.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree." She explained to the King who sat upon his throne, his head in his hands.

"Where is mama?" The little girl asked, as Éowyn placed a blanket around their shoulders.

"Sush," she cooed, encouraging them both to keep eating.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash," Gandalf explained sitting in the advisors chair besides Théoden, "All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight."