Olive Branch of Peace.

I had left the day after King Dáin had given me permission to take the gems. I knew that if I lingered to long, he would change my mind and my only hope of restoring my respect from Thranduil would be lost.

I told Gimli that our adventures to the Glittering Caves and Fangorn Forest would have to wait. He didn't mind waiting as long as it took.

I thanked both him and the King once again before I set off to Mirkwood, the chest of white gems huddled in my arms. I would have stayed to explore the city but at the time, I had only one thing on my mind and that was Legolas.

I barely rested on the trip back to Mirkwood, I was too erratic to sleep. Part of me was dreading going back but the other part was anticipating it.

I knew my horse was exhausted by the time we reached the outskirts of the forest but I couldn't slow down. I knew that once the horse was back in Mirkwood, it would be looked after.

Though my journey back was actually shorter than the journey to Erebor, it somehow felt longer. It was as though the closer I got to Mirkwood, the further away I felt.

I knew that I was being watched now. If I wasn't such a skilled ranger, I wouldn't have noticed but I wasn't entirely out of practice.

Just as expected, by the time I was within a league of the city gates, the royal guard elves burst from the trees around me, their bows drawn. I didn't even flinch, nor did I reach for my weapons.

"Lady Sapphire," one of the guards said grimmly, "We were not expecting you so soon."

"I like to keep my hosts on their feet," I shrugged lazily though I was terrified that perhaps Thranduil had banished me from his Kingdom.

Thankfully, that was not the case. The guards escorted me in silence through the last of the forest. Though I tried to keep myself calm and collected, I was panicking.

Reaching the gate, I slipped off my horse and let them take it to the stables.

That left me, surrounded by guards with the chest of gems wrapped up in my black cloak. I kept my head down and looking at my feet as they led me through the city. My legs seemed to do all the work for me as I barely acknowledged the fact I was nearing the throne.

It wasn't until I was standing right in front of the throne did I finally look up. My lip trembled pathetically and my eyes brimmed with tears as I looked up at King Thranduil, sat rigidly on the throne, his cold eyes glaring down at me, fury pulsing from them. Legolas was nowhere to be seen and right now, that's all I wanted, to see him.

"And here I was thinking I had made my views clear," Thranduil spat angrily, "What are you doing here again?"

"I- I have a gift for you," I stuttered quietly, "A peace offering if you will."

"I was at peace before you barged into my Kingdom! What could you possibly offer me that would excuse you from fault?"

"I know you feel I am unworthy of your son's affection, I myself know that." I started quietly, still wondering where Legolas was, "But here's to hoping my gift might sway your mind."

With that, I timidly approached the throne, my hands trembling slightly as I handed over the chest. My eyes flickered up and watched him in anticipation as he lifted the box to his lap and clasped the latch.

As the lid opened, the light from the many chandeliers in the hall, beamed down onto the white gems, rays of silvery light falling onto Thranduil's awe struck face.

"I am sorry the dwarves stole from you, truly I am and I'm sorry that my dwarven praise reminds you of this. And I'm sorry your son was unlucky enough to fall for me, the very woman you despise." I rambled, scared and nervous for what might come next as Thranduil just stared down at the white gems in the chest.