Fall of the Dúnedain.

By mid afternoon, everyone was busy making camp. Most of the women were cooking over fires to feed the rest of the soldiers.

Éowyn had tried her best to cook but as she went around, offering to people they refused. I found out why when I passed her. It looked more like warg guts than anything edible.

I pitied Aragorn as she poured him out a bowl and sat next to him, talking to him while she forced him to eat.

I, however, was trying my best to track down a certain elf. It didn't take long to find him because he did stick out in a crowd.

He was helping to move some supplies from a broken cart, into a new one. I approach slowly and coughed loudly so as to announce my entrance.

"Lady Sapphire," he said, turning to me, "What can I do for you?"

"You can tell me why you didn't answer my question earlier." I stated, crossing my arms.

"What do you mean?" He asked innocently but it was pretty obvious he knew what I meant.

"I mean, why didn't you answer my question?" I repeated, inching closer, my eyes glaring at him.

I could see him think about it for a few seconds. I obviously had him cornered but I didn't know what it was about yet. All I knew was that Legolas was acting weird and I wanted to get to the bottom of it.

"I didn't know what to say," he finally admitted, "I just thought that perhaps we didn't have to go our separate ways after the Ring is destroyed."

What did he mean by that? Sure, I wouldn't just up and leave the second the Ring was no longer a problem, but we all had lives to go back to didn't we? The Hobbits had the Shire to go back to, Aragorn would return to Arwen, Gimli would likely return to his kin, Legolas was the Prince of Mirkwood so he would eventually have to return there. As for me, I would likely continue traveling as a ranger (I still was yet to find the lost city of Gondolin).

"What do you mean?" I scoffed, utterly confused by the blonde haired elf.

"I mean, I thought we were friends by now... Are you just gonna leave us when our task is finished. You said you liked being alone," he pointed out, his gaze shifting from me to his feet as though he was embarrassed.

"I'm not heartless you know, I'm hardly going to abandon the fellowship the second opportunity calls," I scoffed, jabbing him on the arm as payback.

"Perhaps we could travel together," he suggested quietly.

"Together?" I inquired, "As in, you and me as companions?"

I suppose having some company on my travels wouldn't be too bad. Maybe it was time for a change, I didn't have to be on my own all the time. I liked the prospect, especially since it would mean more time to torment Legolas.

My smile quickly faded as Legolas walked past me, quickly whispering in my ear, "That's not what I meant."

***

I mulled over what he had said all night long. What was I to make of that? If he didn't mean travel companions then what did he mean?

We didn't speak much the next day, just the usual pleasantries when around the rest of the group.

I would glance over at him occasionally through the day as I tried to figure out what he meant.

It wasn't, however, until I caught him looking at me and promptly look away with a blush, did it finally click.

"Oh..." I muttered absently, now realising what he meant by 'together'.

Well I was even more at a loss than I was before.