Motherhood.

I was terrified, genuinely petrified at the prospect of being a mother. I mean, how would I of all people raise a child?

I might accidentally break it, or forget to feed it or worse.

Legolas wasn't helping, he was completely elated by the news and couldn't stop smiling whenever he looked at me. I knew I shouldn't blame him, after all, Legolas would likely be a great father and I couldn't exactly tell him off for being happy.

"This is your fault!" I hissed at him, pointing to my stomach which likely wouldn't show signs for ages.

"I don't remember you complaining," Legolas scoffed, smirking at me, "In fact, I remember you having a hand or two in it as well."

I couldn't fault him there, no matter how much I wanted to slap that smug smile off of his face.

Thranduil, Gimli and the rest of Mirkwood were also of no help, all they did was congratulate me and treat me as though I was some fragile maiden.

I didn't want to be treated like some expensive vase which needed to be handled with care, I wanted things to be as they were, why couldn't anyone else see that?

Thranduil had canceled all my training with the royal guard that week and even though I was no where near showing signs of my pregnancy, it was likely he would cancel my sessions indefinitely.

Everyone was telling me to take care or not to strain myself. They kept insisting I sit down and rest even though I could easily still win against them in a fight anyday.

It was only the week prior, I had been running through mine and Legolas' obstacle course like we usually did.

Now I was sat on the window sill in our room, looking out at the sunset having done nothing all day. I was curled up in the blankets, a silent stream of tears falling from my cheeks.

I heard the door open and close but I didn't need to look up to know who it was.

"What do you want?" I huffed, still not looking at him.

"To ask my lovely wife if she's ok?" Legolas replied softly as he stepped closer to me, his tone gentler than the last time I had talked to him that morning, when he was gushing over the news.

"This 'lovely wife' of yours is perfectly content." I mocked, turning to him to see his face full of concern.

"Look," Legolas sighed as he sat himself opposite me on the window sill and took my hands in his, "Even I'm not so stupid as to be oblivious to what you're bottling up."

"Oh I don't know, you are pretty stupid," I chuckled lightly.

"Ok, ouch. But still, I'm sorry I've been distant lately, I've just been caught up in the happiness," he smiled softly, reaching over so he could gently pat my stomach.

"As you should be," I admitted, "You're going to be a great parent but I-"

"Hey," Legolas cooed as she shuffled closer and wiped away my fresh tears before kissing me on the forehead, "You're going to be a great mother, you wait and see."

"Will I though?" I asked weakly, "I have no idea how to raise a child! I didn't have the most normal of childhoods."

"So?" Legolas scoffed, smiling down at me, "Look at you now, the best and strongest person I know. You think something like this is going to stop you?"

I looked away in momentary embarrassment. I have never wanted to be a mother, I had only started to believe in love when Legolas had managed to cleave himself a piece of my heart.