Alone

Cross huffed as he closed the book he was reading, well finished reading. Nightmare was sitting by his feet, playing a simple child's game that the monochrome monster got him.

It was meant as a joke, but surprisingly Night actually liked it... He had actual fun playing it.

The Passive version of Nightmare looked up at his lover.

"Crossy?" He cutely tilted his head in confusion and slightly worry.

The Codebreaker looked down at the Ex-Guardian, a bored and slightly angered look to his face.

"I'm going out... We need more food." His tone sounded annoyed, his words being forced out.

He stood up and hopped down the steps with almost trained ease. Then, he opened up a portal to some place and walked through it... Leaving Nightmare alone...

The Dark Sans gulped, picking up the game and hiding it away. He didn't want the other Dark Sanses to know what Cross was doing to him... Or how weak he had gotten...

Shakily, he reached a hand out, trying to command the shadows around the castle to open a portal to DreamTale... Cross didn't have to know... He'd be there and back before the Codebreaker ever knew!

Yet, the more and more he tried, the harder it got to form even a small speck of a portal.

Soon, he collapsed to his knees, panting heavily from trying.

He glanced down at his hands, almost to see why it didn't work... But what he saw was blood and magic on them... Neither belonging to him.

A scream left his lips, his eyes widening as he jolted back. His head smacked against the hard throne, causing his vision to go black for a second.

When he was able to see again, he shakily looked down at his hands once more. They were clean... They didn't have the slightest hint of having blood or magic on them...

Nightmare closed his eyes and leaned forward, but that caused a hellish pain to form in his head.

He groaned softly, a wince on his face. Carefully, his hands trailed up to the back of his head.

His fingers felt something slick, a light dip in his skull too.

His breathing grew hard as fear settled into his stomach.

Cross had never cracked his skull before, or made any visible wounds on him... He... He didn't know how the taller was going to react...

Nightmare's eyes widen as another horrifying thought flooded through him.

What if the other Sanses saw?

They all think Cross did it out of anger... Which then would lead to them finding out what the monochrome skeleton has been doing to him...

As quick as he could, the King stood up and hurried to the medic bay. He knew how to treat his own wounds... Long before this life actually.

As best as he could, he cleaned up the wound and used a couple of mirrors to see how bad the damage actually was... To see if he had to tell his boyfriend so he could be healed.

Surprisingly, despite that there was blood and magic, the wound wasn't as bad as he thought... A little food and sleep would heal it perfectly fine!

A soft sigh of relief left the small monster.

He slowly went to the kitchen, took the last slice of bread and a small pear as a snack then headed to his and Cross's room for some sleep.

There he crawled into the bed, having the large blankets surround him, cradling his body as if it would protect him from the horrors of his own mind.

Closing his eyes, he came to one simple conclusion.

He hated being alone.