Chapter 3• Extra Sentimental

•••

•••

APOCALYPSE

"Five, what is it?" Jane asked looking at Five. He clutched a book he had found in the rubble of an old library. Jane didn't think too much of it at first but as Five looked back at her with tears in his eyes, she knew it was more than just a book.

"It's my sister. She, she wrote a book about, about us. The Umbrella Academy." Jane's gaze softens as she watched him break in front of her. She then gently took the book from his grasp reading the cover. Extra-Ordinary.

"Do you want me to?" Five could only nod at her offer.

"Okay," Jane said softly. Five sat down next to her and laid his head in her lap gently playing with the fabric that covered her legs. It was strange, he'd never showed this side to her before.

"My name is Vanya Hargreeves, and this is my story. We were never a real family. We were our father's creation, family in name - and smile. - but not in fact. In the end, after," Jane paused before continuing again, "our brother Ben had died, there was really nothing connecting us. We were just strangers living under the same roof destined to be alone, starved for attention, damaged by our upbringing, and haunted by what might have been. We all wanted to be loved by a man incapable of giving love. Our father never missed an opportunity to remind me that I was ordinary. A hard thing for a little girl to hear. If you're raised to believe nothing about you is special if the benchmark is extraordinary, what do you do if you're not?" Jane lets out a shaky breath as she feels the wetness of his tears seeps through the thin fabric that covered her legs. In their short month together she had never seen him cry. Everything was still so new to them. They felt as if they didn't even know each other, their main focus rested on solving equations and survival. Not their own relationship. She closed the book and ran her hands through his hair, they stayed in that position until morning. Well, Jane did.

Five never gave up the book. He carried it with him everywhere and used it as a notebook of sorts. Since the apocalypse destroyed everything, most books had turned into piles of ash. Five and Jane were lucky enough to find two notebooks in pretty well shape. One was shared between the two, used for the various equations that would possibly help them get out of this dreaded wasteland. The other one was only for Jane, after much pressing from Five to take it. Her notebook was filled with notes and doodles from their travels.

MARCH 25, 2019

Jane ran around the room gathering all the medical supplies she could find to help Five. It was a miracle that the nasty gash on his arm wasn't infected. Five watched her moved back and forth from his room to the bathroom. He didn't know when he was going to give her the ring because of how pissed off she was.

"Five, you can't keep pulling shit like this. Are you okay? Why didn't you say anything when we were at Vanya's?" As she walked in front of him, Five grabbed her hips and pulled her close. The action made her stutter over what she was saying.