Chapter 10• The Seven Stages and Case File 736

•••

•••

Jane was lying on the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling when Five barged in and began to pace around. She didn't have to sit up to see what he was doing, she could hear his shoes hit the ground. Jane had almost forgotten that they were in a fight because this was a completely normal thing. Five would get frustrated and need to think so he'd pace around, rattling off facts and theories until he came up with a solution, and Jane would pipe in with corrections or other theories. Only this time he was silent.

She gripped the fabric of her shirt near her chest, it was almost like she could feel the weight on it, the small rising and falling of an infant's breath. She nearly let out a groan as the anxiety built up, right under her hand. She still believed that due to her age, she should be immune to her poor mental health. That wasn't the case.

Five then began to mutter under his breath. It was quick and quiet, no one would have been able to understand what he was saying, at least Jane didn't. She tried to focus on it, hoping it would calm her oncoming panic attack as Five's voice often did. She silently thanked God that Five was there in the room with her. Given, he was oblivious to what was going on because Jane was good at masking her anxiety after doing it for so long. Eventually, his small mumblings became louder but soft enough that no one from the other room would hear.

"I ask for one thing. One goddamn thing to go right. But no. My idiot family can't seem to listen. There has to be something... something else I can do." Jane felt a bit hurt that he still wasn't including her. And more so that he had made a deal with the Commission and completely didn't bother to tell her. They had been in this together since the very beginning when they were both thrown into the apocalypse. One in regret and one out of blatant stupidity.

Five pulled out a watch from his pocket. The small ticks made Jane feel at ease. But it didn't last long, as Five snapped it closed and the ticking stopped. It was then Jane sat up, barely catching a glance at Five as he rushed out. She threw her legs off the edge of the bed and then followed him into the kitchen, scrunching her nose as she watched him jug half a gallon of water.

"Five?" Luther asked, coming into the kitchen. "Five, what... you okay?" Five set down the pitcher and used his sleeve to wipe the water droplets from his face that had missed his mouth.

"I'm gonna need to be hydrated." Jane gave him an incredulous look, but Five had turned back to place the pitcher into the refrigerator.

"Hydrated?" Luther questioned. Five then moved to the table near where Jane was standing, putting his hand on her arm as he walked past her. She didn't step back or make any motion to brush him off, it was something he normally did. They hadn't had an actual fight in so long, the little affectionate things were something they didn't even realize they were doing.

Five then grabbed a thing of baby powder and began putting it in his sleeves. Jane's brows furrowed, her nose scrunched just a bit as she tried to figure out what he was doing. But there wasn't an answer. At least, not yet.