Chapter 5• Mr. and Mrs. Five Hargreeves (Part 2)

•••

•••

JUNE 17, 1957

Jane sat beside her mother listening to the radio, the dull sounds of the grim storyteller reciting a story about a woman named Annabel Lee. Yvonne was cleaning something in the kitchen and her father sat straight in his chair with a paper in his hand and a mug in the other. Jane picked at a loose thread on the couch that seemed to fall apart more and more every day, her eyes followed to the window and she looked ahead at the beautiful pink sky. She smiled slightly at the dusk and thought about the day to come. She would be visiting her uncle and her grandpa at the shop, a weekly experience she always looked forward to. The faint smell of bread drew Jane from the living room to the kitchen where Yvonne was bent over to close the oven. Jane took a seat in the high chair at the island with her head in her hands.

"What's wrong child?" Jane snapped out of her trace at the comforting voice of Yvonne. She let out a small sigh and sat up straight in her chair out of common courtesy to properly address the woman.

"I don't know." This much was true. All of her life Jane had an empty feeling that surrounded her like a shadow clouded a poorly lit room. The lingering feeling would follow the young girl until the void was filled in the oddest of places.

"Well, I was just about to start on some meatloaf. How would you like to help me out with that?" Jane offered Yvonne a small smile.

"I would love to," Jane began to remove herself from her chair when she heard a strange whoosh noise.

"What was that?" She asked Yvonne. Yvonne just smiled and shrugged.

"It must have been the A/C." Jane looked at her warily.

"I've never heard it make that noise before," she muttered under her breath.

"Here, why don't you go and ask your parents if they would like anything to drink."

MARCH 28, 2019

Jane didn't know much about Klaus. he knew he was addicted to drugs and often said whatever rambling nonsense was on his mind. From the stories that Five told her about their childhood, she knew Klaus had a rough time with his powers. But from what Jane had seen in her short time of knowing him, he was an overall happy person. She didn't know what to think when she saw him trudge out of the bathroom trying to put a shirt on. Her motherly instincts instantly kicked in.

"Are you okay?" Klaus chuckled sadly and ran a hand through his hair. Jane stole a glance at Five, whose brows furrowed. Jane could tell he was concerned for his brother, but it was hard to tell with Five's emotionally hard exterior.

"Hey. Yeah, just a long night." Jane tilted her head to the side. Klaus couldn't help but feel safe under her concerned glance. It reminded him of Grace.