Chapter 8• The Truth About What Happened in 1957

•••

•••

Yvonne brought Jane to a house surrounded by nothing. An abyss of shadows surrounded them along with a luminary house that was pale yellow. It was old and the paint was starting to chip and fade. As Jane looked around she realized everything was in black and white. Wherever Yvonne had brought her, nature lost its color. leaving darkness in its wake. Jane's hair was no longer a mess. It was in a ponytail, tied up in a colorless ribbon. Looking down, she noticed the uniform she wore before was gone. She was back in the same dress as the day she left. But the color, much like the surrounding area, had turned colorless. Yvonne opened the door and motioned for Jane to enter. And she did.

The atmosphere was eerily comforting. It could have been the wallpaper that was near identical to the one at her home in New York. Jane knew better. It wasn't the similarities to her old life. It was the feeling of the people who loved her in a time that felt so long ago. And it was, she had lived a long life but the souls that she had lost still lingered around her. Even the ones she didn't want to. She examined a mantel that sat above the rustic fireplace and took a step back. noticed an unopened envelope propped up on a stand. The initials R. H. shone in a dark red font. She recognized it but ignored it. There were more important things to focus on.

The two women sat at a round table with a cream-colored cloth of lace covering it. A quaint tea set of yellow and rose gold sat still in their saucers, the steam from the tea rose in a swirl. Yvonne placed two sugar cubes into the cup in front of her and gave it a stir.

"You have grown into a most respectable young woman, Jane. And I am so sorry that I've avoided this conversation for so long. You two were so close. I figured that you would be able to stop it," Yvonne took a long sip of her tea, looking at Jane from behind her cup. Jane sat up straight and still, watching Yvonne's every move. There was something different about her. About the way she held herself. 

"We still have time. I just, I just need to know why now?" Jane followed Yvonne's teacup as it returned to the saucer. She felt stiff. Even if she tried she wouldn't be able to move. 

"I'm dying." Jane's eyes averted to the sugar bowl. She sucked in a shaky breath. Yvonne continued, "there are so many things that I've left you in the dark about. I may not be able to help you stop the impending apocalypse but I can help you find the truth." There was an agonizing beat of silence before Jane spoke up.

"Alright."

"When I was involved with the Commission we were in the middle of a cusp. A fight between wrong and right. It was becoming difficult for us to make the proper judgment for humanity. The schism caused a civil war, tensions were high all over here and on Earth. Until our two best temporal assassins found a solution. Your grandfather and his brother were the best the Commission has seen before you and Number Five," Yvonne's voice was soft and soothing. It was the same as it was from before, back in 1957. Jane studied her. Something horrible had happened. At the mention of her Grandfather, she eyed Yvonne.