Chapter 4• Over The Moon in Love With Her

•••

•••

After the situation with Luther and Klaus, Jane crawled into Five's lap and rested her head against his shoulder. Five absent-mindedly played with her hair and held her close.

"There's our guy." Five motioned out the window to Lance, who was walking a small dog. Jane lifted her head to get a better look.

"What the hell is he up to?" She asked.

"Let's find out," he pressed a kiss to her temple and blinked them into the back seat of Lance's car. Five quickly untangled himself from Jane and pressed a knife to the back of Lance's neck.

"Oh, Jesus!" the man jumped in his seat. The dog let out a small whine at the two strangers in the car.

"One change. That's all you've got. One chance to tell me exactly what's going on in that lab," Five threatened. He pushed the knife deeper into Lance's neck, not deep enough to draw blood but close enough to make him nearly piss his pants. To make him talk.

"I, I manufacture prosthetic devices for fake patients. I bill the insurance companies and then sell them for cash. On, on the black market." Lance stuttered. Jane huffed. If only they had been able to figure that out sooner.

"Including eyeballs?" Jane asked. The sharpness of her tone only made Lance more nervous. She had seemed like the nice and collected one of the two. But now the calmness wasn't something that he found comforting.

"Year, they're my biggest sellers. I mean, they sell like hotcakes. I, I've got a list, a waiting list. Probably twenty buyers." Five and Jane shared a look.

"So the serial number I told you?"

"Uh, could've already been bought. Yes. Off the books." Five huffed, growing more agitated with every second.

"We needed that list, Lance. Names and numbers. We need it now!"

"I, I don't have it. I mean not on me. The only copy's in my sade at the lab."

"Well, you'd better start the car then," Jane said with a sarcastic smile.

"Cause we're going on a field trip," Five finished.

"Okay," Lance hesitated.

"Now!" Jane raised her voice. Lance nearly dropped his keys in fear. He struggled to get them into the ignition to start it.

The car ride was quick and silent. Except for Lance's labored breathing, Followed by Five's impatient tongue clicking. When the car stopped, the couple jumped out, forcing Lance to follow them. Jane looked up at the sky as the smell of smoke filled the air. As they neared MeriTech the smell only grew stronger.

"Five-" Before Jane could get anything else out, the building exploded. Five grabbed her arm and pulled her on top of him to soften her blow to the ground. When they landed he rolled on top of her to shield her from any falling glass and debris. Once the main explosion was over, they sat up. The thing that had given them hope for decades; their only lead was gone. Five muttered a few curses before grabbing Jane's arm and dragging her along.