Chapter 6• Lovers Reunited

•••

•••

Jane barely twitched as the needle dug deeper into her vein, the cool object sliding against her skin. It wasn't like she could do anything if she wanted to she had already been there for what felt like hours. The restraints rubbed against her wrists and ankles, brushing the wounds she had gotten from her struggle in the first hours of the torture. The restraint against her forehead had yet to break any part of her skin.

When the needle was fully removed, searing pain shot up her arm and through her shoulder making her inhale sharply. She tried her best to not let the pain show. If she was being completely honest, it still felt better than being in labor.

Her head started to pound and she broke out in a sweat, her body began shaking uncontrollably as if she was having a seizure. She pushed up against the restraints, pulling repeatedly in an attempt to escape. The wounds around her wrists opened again, blood smeared her forearms, the rough leather painted it onto her skin. It changed the color of the white sheet that lay on top of her. The doctor placed a metal speculum over her eyelids, exposing her dilated eye as she started to calm down. Soon she was still enough for the man to perform the operation.

Items clattered as he grabbed the orbitoclast from the tray. Jane could hear the noise but it echoed in her brain, blurred like her vision. She started seeing swirls of colors dancing around like ballerinas. There was nothing she could do. She tried to lift up on the restraints again but she couldn't move, she was paralyzed. The worker took note of her tense arms, watching as her veins became more prominent. He debated on drugging her anymore but thought against it, not knowing the effects on the body of a thirteen-year-old. The Handler gave specific orders to keep her alive and simplify her so they can change everything about her. Create a new person or rather... a copy of someone who died a long time ago.

The doctor prepared the acid to soften the tissue surrounding the frontal lobe. He lifted the cup and swirled the bubbling liquid inside. Once satisfied with the reaction, he readied the orbitoclast to Jane's aged eye. By this point, Jane was completely gone. The drugs had overtaken her body and mind leaving her helpless and bound to the table.

There was a quiet sound, it sounded like air pushing something out of a thin tube. The doctor felt something pierce the nape of his neck. He reached back and pulled something out of his skin. A dart. He fell back with a thud, his limbs becoming jelly. He hit his head on the tray as he went down a loud crack came from his neck as his body hit the floor. A dark pool of red surrounded his head, following the dip in the floor to the drain.

A woman came into the room. She was well into her life, around seventy years old but she had a movement about her that made it seem like she was years younger than what she was letting on. With soft hands, she removed the speculum from Jane's eye and undid the restraints. She picked up the bedpan from the floor and filled it with water, retrieving a rag from the sink. When she got back to where Jane lay, she peeled the thin sheet off of her. She frowned as she saw the small slits on Jane's wrists, injuries not caused by the rubbing of the leather but a small scalpel. Using the wet rag, she began to clean off the wounds and wrapped Jane's wrists with bandages.