Chapter 8• A Light Supper

•••

•••

Jane looked around the 'Luau' theme restaurant/bar. The bright colors were a great contrast to the way things had been going but Jane was certain they were about to get worse. She read Vanya's book, she'd heard the stories that Five had told her. His experiences from his time in the academy. She knew how awful of a person Reginald was. But she didn't tell Five that she thought this was a horrible idea because she wasn't family. She didn't have to go through what they went through, she would never understand the emotional trauma that came with being a superhero.

As scared as she was for the siblings to be reunited with their father, who wasn't yet their father, she was anxious to ask him about Yvonne. She needed answers on how he knew her family and who the woman was from the picture. There was a large possibility that it was Margareta but Earnest's eyes in the picture didn't look as bright as they were when he talked about her. She looked so familiar. Her brain was screaming at her to remember but she couldn't. The only thing she heard was the melody that spun out from a single note. A melody she knew by heart but couldn't recall. She snapped back into reality as Five's hand left hers to pull out her chair.

"Are you okay?" He whispered in her ear. She nodded and fake a smile. Five saw right through it but didn't say anything. It was going to be the first time he'd seen his father in forty-five-years, a part of him felt like he still needed some time.

"Um, Diego? You don't have the conch." Diego abruptly stood and threw it. It shattered loudly, making Jane flinch. Allison clicked her tongue.

"Classic." The doors were then pushed open abruptly and Reginald stormed inside. Jane noticed the way the siblings tensed as his cold eyes but Jane sat up straighter with her hands resting in her lap. Unlike her in-laws and her husband, she was not afraid.

"Not only have you burglarized my lab, set my chimp loose, conned your way into the Mexican Consulate, repeatedly stalked and attacked me, but all but one of you have, on numerous occasions called me..." He met Jane's eyes and he stopped for a second. Jane noticed his change in demeanor and raised an eyebrow, challenging him. Klaus belched, taking their attention away.

"Hi Pops, how's it hanging?"

"Dad," Reginald finished, "my reconnaissance tells me you're not CIA, not KGB, certainly not MI5, so... who are you." Jane glanced around at the siblings, from the way they were talking earlier, they all had something to say to him. Now they were silent. Until Five spoke up.

"We're your children. We're from the future." Reginald furrowed his brows and looked back at Jane who kept her stature the same.

"But you're not." Jane flashed him a sarcastic smile.

"No. I'm not," she then dropped her smile. Reginald had to stop himself from scoffing out a laugh. The resemblance was uncanny. But what he couldn't figure out was why she was involved with his... 'children'.