Chapter 2• Runaway

•••

•••

DALLAS, TX

Five took a seat next to the stage, despite having no interest in the young dancer who suggestively swayed her hips. He didn't bother to look at her because he knew her beauty couldn't compare to his Jane. Instead, he pulled out the newspaper clipping he had stolen from Elliot's file. He couldn't help but get lost in the black and white details of her face. He smiled softly.

"Hey, kid, we don't allow minors here," a shrill voice pulled him out of his thoughts. He didn't bother to look back, he kept a strong gaze on the photo.

"Don't bother, I'm a married man. These floozies don't interest me at all. I'm only here to look for someone." Taken aback by his words, the blonde walked away to her friend. Who stood against the bar. Five ran his thumb over the photo as if he was brushing Jane's hair back. He would slaughter tens of thousands of men just to hold her in his arms again.

•••••

"Yeah, I'm more worried about the kid though," Autumn said, adjusting the tray in her hand. Luther gave her a look.

"What kid?"

"The one by the stage," she pointed with her head where she had seen him. Luther squinted his eyes, trying to get a better look.

"I told him we don't allow minors."

"And what did he say?"

"He told me he was married, that these quote-unquote floozies didn't interest him at all. Said he was lookin' for someone," she laughed it off, "he was very invested in this newspaper clipping, though."  Luther swallowed thickly and made his way to his brother. He stopped and looked over his shoulder. Luther sighed at the picture he was holding. It made Luther wonder if something had happened. He hadn't gotten to know Jane that well but he had a sense that she didn't like him very much.

"You look like you're about ready to jack off to that photo of your minor wife."

"Well, it's better that, than a picture of my sister isn't it?" Five retorted, not missing a beat. He bore a smug smile while Luther rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"What do you want, Five?"

"I want you to stop hovering like an ambitious stripper and sit down with me," Five ran his thumb over the photo again. He could only pray to a God he didn't think exists that she would come soon. If at all.

BUFFALO, NY 1963

It was dark when Jane had gathered the strength to walk. She felt an odd sense of nostalgia as she began to walk around. She couldn't go very fast allowing her the time to look around, the moonlight, and the stars being her only light. Jane didn't know where she was until she heard ducks and then water. She recalled a faint memory of her trying to push a duck away that had been following her when she was little but she thought nothing of it... until she saw the outline of an old tree atop the hill. She nearly collapsed. She was in her sweet hometown of Buffalo, New York. Now the only question was; when?