Chapter 5• The Rumored Thirteenth

•••

•••

Five angrily trudged up the stairs to Elliott's. He kept mumbling words of encouragement to himself even though he only believed they were half true. He had so much hope in Vanya coming around to help stop the apocalypse but she just drove away. 'New timeline new me,' she said. Five scoffed and placed his hand on the doorknob but stopped as something fell off.

He stepped back and nearly fell over as he realized what it was. He collapsed onto his knees and tenderly picked up the yellow ribbon, holding it to his heart. He couldn't help the tears that weld up behind his eyes but didn't dare let them escape.

With a sigh, Jane pressed the needle into his skin causing a sharp breath to escape his lips. When she finished the stitches, she placed a train bandaid over it in case one of the stitches reopened. Jane took her place in front of him again and pressed a gentle kiss on his lips before abruptly pulling away as a flash of yellow caught her eye. She grabbed his arm and brought it closer to her.

"You kept this? You used to hate it," Jane ran a finger over the silk of the ribbon. Five rolls his eyes at her accusation. He never hated it, he loved it. Jane just didn't need to know that in their early years of the apocalypse. Five blamed it on his repressed feelings.

"I never said that," he grumbled.

"Oh, yes you did. Many times I might add," Jane laughed, messing with the ribbon. She linked their hands together and squeezed his hand three times.

"You know," she said, "this quote, unquote horrid shade of yellow really brings out your eyes."

"You think so?" Five joked along. Jane smiled and brought herself close to his face, he leaned in expecting another kiss.

"Nope."

Five ran his thumb and pointer finger along the thin silk wit his thumb and pointer finger. He knew that the ribbon could only mean two things. Jane was here and she knew Five had been here or something had happened to her and Five had his money on the Commission. He inhaled shakily in an attempt to calm his nerves. He felt so helpless, there was no way to know if she was okay or not. He had no idea where she was and he didn't know where to look. Five dug in his pocket and pulled out the ring and brought the ribbon through the loop before tying it off. He held onto it tightly and marched through the door.

•••••

"So, what, you just let her go?"

"Well, Vanya had a lot to process. She'll come around. I know she will," Five paced back and forth behind the couch, sliding his fingers against the thick silk.

"What about the guys that went after her?"

"The Swedes?" Five ran his tongue over his teeth. He was so light on his feet, practically bouncing with every step from his anxiety, had he been sitting down, his leg would be bouncing a thousand miles per hour.