Chapter 15

I walked through the entrance of the school with my headphones blasting music in my ear at full volume blocking out all the chatter in the hallways. I felt my phone buzz and I pulled it out looking at what the notification was.

TJ

Meet @ the library

I sighed turning around making my way to the library doors I had already passed. I walked in and saw Tj sitting at one of the small round tables. I made my way over to him and he had a look of worry on his face.

"I can't do it Cyrus" He spat out as soon as I got to him.

"Can't do what Tj?" I asked sitting down.

"This test, I'm gonna fail and when I do I'm not gonna be able to play our next game or the championship game," He said shaking his foot faster then I could blink.

"Tj, calm down you got this ok we've been over it"

"I know but-"

"There are no buts Tj, your gonna ace this retake" I responded. He didn't respond and just kept his head down. "What's one plus one?" I asked.

"Two, but what does that have to do with anything?" He asked sounding confused.

"Because if you know what one plus one is your know all you need in life" He chuckled putting his head up.

"That doesn't make sense," He said smiling.

"I know but it sounds inspirational and deep" I added.

"It did give me a confidence boost" The bell rang and I got up gesturing him to get up as well.

"Come on, you have a test to retake"

~(In The Classroom)~

"Good morning class, today those who asked or were assigned will retake the test. As for the rest of you, I'll be giving you work to do so this will not be your free period" Miss. Kain said passing out the test.

TJ POV

After, the class went silent. I looked at the blank test paper and already felt like giving up. I looked at the first question figuring out the first bit. I smiled remembering the rest that Cyrus had explained to me. I finished the next four questions making minor mistakes that I always caught. I flipped the paper over and began to read the equation of the first question.

"Not now, please not now," I said to myself as the numbers began to scramble and get blurry. I started to bounce my leg anxiously hoping it would pass. I looked over at Cyrus doing his work and smiled a small bit.

"If the numbers get all jumbled up in your head and on paper take a breath and think about something that calms you down" I heard Cyrus say in my head. I took a deep breath and glanced over at Cyrus who was doing his work. He looked over at me giving me a thumbs up not taking his eyes off his paper.

~(After Class)~

"So how do you think you did?" Cyrus asked me. He was wearing the hoodie I got him for his birthday which made me smile a small bit.

"Good surprisingly, I did what you said and just took a deep breath"

"Well, you're not gonna fail don't worry" Jonah chimed in. We all walked into the art room together and took a seat at our usual table. The teacher stood in front of the class.

"Alright class today I'll be giving you a two-person project that will be due tomorrow, the topic will be the heart, I won't say anything else because I don't want you guys to feel limited. The only requirement is that it's drawn on the medium or large-sized canvas I will be giving you. Find your partner and brainstorm ideas then come to me for the canvas"

"Your gonna be my partner right?" I asked Cyrus.

"No he's my partner this time, he was your partner for the last project" Jonah argued.

"C'mon Jonah I'll let you have him for the next three projects"

"So am I just an object in this situation?" Cyrus asked quietly. Jonah let out a defeated sigh before speaking.

"Fine" I smile shaking his hand.

"Your sacrifice shan't be forgotten" I joked making him chuckle. I knew if Cyrus wasn't my partner I could guarantee myself an C. I looked over at him playing with the sleeves of the hoodie that you could tell obviously was too big for him by the way the sleeves drooped over his hand.

"Well partner any ideas?" I asked Cyrus, he didn't respond so I looked over at him with headphones in. "Any ideas?" I repeated myself. He rolled his eyes and walked over to the teacher and after a couple of minutes walked back with a large canvas. Instead of sitting with us he sat a different table alone.

"I guess we're partners then," Jonah said. Jonah and I were brainstorming for about ten minutes until we finally decided on what to draw. We agreed on just drawing what we loved like a basketball and family generic stuff but I couldn't help but to look over at Cyrus. He was just sitting there alone tracing on the canvas.

"I'm gonna go get the canvas" Jonah said.

"Yeah yeah," I said clearly but it was barely audible, I didn't even pay attention to what he said I just brushed him off in the not paying attention way. After some time had passed the bell finally rang I put the Canvas on the rack and waited for Cyrus only when I grabbed my bag I saw he had already left.

"What's wrong with Cyrus?"

"I have no idea" Jonah responded grabbing his bag. The day went by slower than usual and I didn't see Cyrus for the rest of the day after art. Instead of riding my bike straight home I rode Cyrus's house. I knocked on the door, and Eric answered.