01. Across the Border

ACT ONE, CHAPTER ONEAcross the Border

Across the Border

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     TO SEE EVERYTHING SHE EVER KNEW flash right in front of her eyes was like a slap in the face. She didn't mean for it to end in such a way but as her parents said, the damage had already been done. After an incident at school where a flask of sulfuric acid spontaneously exploded and nearly blinded another student, that was the last straw and her mother booked the earliest flight to California and bought the ticket with no questions asked. And now here she was getting out of customs carrying all her baggage with her. When Andi was told that she was going to move across the country to stay with her grandmother, it was like her whole world crashed and burned right in front of her and she didn't know how to react. She had a friend at her old high school, someone she was able to trust but now there was nothing but distance between them.

     Andi checked the time on her phone as she waited for her grandmother to arrive at the airport so they could go back to her house where Andi would settle in for the night. She leaned against the wall as she tucked a piece of her lightly coloured hair behind her ear. She got it dyed a light blonde with light pink and blue streaks for her fifteenth birthday and that was how it stayed since then. Her parents didn't really like the choice of colour but they had already given her permission to get it dyed before she even chose the colours.

     She saw a silver car pull over right in front of her and her grandmother stepped out with a warm smile on her face. Andi smiled back as she pulled her luggage over to the car and accepted her grandmother's hug.

     "It's so good to see you again," the older woman said before loosening her arms around the teenage girl who only smiled.

     "It's great to see you too, Grams," Andi replied as she pulled away.

     She put her two bags and one suitcase in the trunk and once it was closed, her grandmother got into the driver's seat and Andi sat in the passenger seat. She loved her grandmother and she missed her while she was all the way in another state but she never pictured herself moving in with her.

     "How are your parents?" her grandmother asked once they left the airport.

     "I'm pretty sure that they're still upset with me. They barely talked to me before I left. They just drove me to the airport and that was it," Andi said while shrugging her shoulders and watching the road ahead of them.

     "That's not right. No matter how upset they may be, they should still say goodbye when you're leaving," the older woman said before clicking her tongue.

     "I guess it shouldn't surprise me by now. We both know how they are," Andi sighed as she leaned back into her seat with her phone in her lap.

     She knew exactly what her parents were like. How could she not after spending her entire life with them up until this point? When they were upset with Andi, they would either yell or ignore her for the rest of the day. Even when the flight was booked and plane tickets were purchased, neither of them spoke to her unless they were making sure that she had packed everything she needed for her trip. So when they dropped her off at the airport and drove off, she wasn't surprised but she was disappointed.