2.

I woke up the next morning and got dressed and ready for school. The usual routine, don't make any noise, don't cook any food and don't use any of the utilities unless it was to wash my face and brush my teeth. The usual. I watched my cousin sleep for a split second. He didn't have to get up early, he always had a ride to school everyday. As I had to catch the school bus to and from. Sometimes I didn't mind it, school was almost like my home away from home. Though I could never claim this place as a home for me. No matter how many days I slept here.
Once I was fully dressed, I closed the door behind me slowly, careful to not make any noise on my way out. I'd definitely hear about it later if I did.
Luckily for me, the bus stop to school was only 3 blocks down from the apartment building.
I took in all the fresh air on my daily walks to the stop, even if it was the beginning of winter. I rarely was allowed outside, and even when I asked nicely sometimes begged I was always told no. It felt like that apartment was my prison cell and going to school was my get out of jail free card, even if that meant the card only worked for 7 hours. At least I can use it often. Monday through Friday I was my happiest, I could go to school, get away from all the sadness I've come to know at home, and walk into a welcoming sanctuary of peers, teachers, and principals. That was, until the weekend came, and I was back on lockdown, in the semi spacious prison cell.
The bus came shortly after I arrived, and I was on the road to school. This school was nothing like my old one. Middleton High was a little rough around the edges. Kids would pick on other kids, snatch their lunches from them, blatantly disrespect the teachers, even try to fight them sometimes. To save face, I just stayed to myself. Until I had the pleasure of meeting my bestfriend, Devonté. He bumped into me one day at lunch, and knocked my lunch out my hand. He apologized over and over but I insisted it was okay. After he made it his point to buy me another lunch, we sat and talked the whole hour we had. We've been the best of friends ever since. We told each other everything. He knew all about my situation at home, and I could tell he felt sorry for me. But, hey. What could anybody do about it?
I got off the bus, and walked into the cafeteria to get some breakfast. I ate most of my meals at school, as I wasn't allowed to cook myself any food back at home. Sometimes, I even saved what I didn't eat for later when I made it back. The witch would cook dinner, but sometimes there wasn't always enough for me. I started to cherish every bit of food I ran into at school, and took none of it for granted. I hope nobody else is going thru what I'm going thru.
"Looking for me?" My bestfriend scared me, hugging me from behind.
"Yeah, I was just about to come find you."
"I literally just got here, kinda woke up late." He said yawning.
"I can see, you still yawning."
"Yeah, I was up all night doin' last minute homework."
"Sounds about right."
He chuckled a bit and nudged my arm.
"Why didn't you call me back?" He asked, voice full of concern.
"You know I can't use the phone unless somebody calls me first."
He looked down at the floor and shook his head.
"Yeah, your right. I totally forgot about rule #72. I'm sorry bestfriend, I should've called."
"It's okay, I figured you were busy."
"Not too busy to talk to you."
He made me feel so important sometimes. It was truly a feeling i myself wasn't use to. The only other person that made me feel important disappeared from my life. I guess I'm not important to him as I thought I was.
"Awe bestfriend."
He wrapped his arms around my shoulders.
"Let's get to class."