8.

Later that school day...

After lunch I decided I was going to talk to our school's guidance counselor. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I prayed I'd come out good in the end.
I reached the end of the hallway, and entered the door marked GUIDANCE COUNSELOR'S OFFICE.
I slowly knocked on the door to the left of me.
"Come in."
I walked in and closed the door behind me.
"Isaiah, what a pleasant surprise. Don't see you in here too often, what can I do for you today?"
"Hey, Mrs. Winstead, how are you? I'm just coming to talk to you about some personal things." I said, trying not to be too obvious.
"Sure. Sit down. Is everything okay studies wise?"
She said not looking up from her computer.
"Yes, my grades are good. All A's."
"Good, good. And at home?"
Suddenly I forgotten how to speak.
My silence seemed to peak her interest because she closed her laptop shut and looked at me.
"I know it's been kind of difficult with your father not being around. You know he was one of our top basketball players when he went to school here and has always been a great help in the PTA community. Are you not adjusting to your new living arrangements yet?"
Hearing her tell me stories about my father past success made me wish he could be standing here beside me now, telling her this meeting was pointless and that he'd take care of it, but even as the ticking of the clock grew stronger, I knew I needed to hurry up and get to the point of my coming in her office today.
I let out a strong sigh, and responded, "No, not quite yet."
She looked at me and smiled.
"Well, just give it sometime. You'll get comfortable soon enough."
"Comfortable isn't the problem."
"There's a problem?" Her voice filled with concern at this point. The look in her face gave me the impression that this may have been a bad idea.
I darted my eyes to the left and the right to stall for time as I tried thinking up an answer to her question.
"The place... I'm at.... it's... horrible."
"Horrible?" She asked scooting up her chair closer to me as she got ready to say something else.
"Is someone hurting you Isaiah?"
My eyes widened at the mere fact she knew what it was without me having to tell her. I needed to get out of her office before I said anything else.
"No ma'am, sorry for wasting your time." I said as I hurriedly walked out of her office and to my next class. The bell was about to ring for last block. I wish I didn't have to go back home.