9.

My cousin had to stay back for football practice after the bell rang for dismissal. I wasn't allowed to take any extra curricular activities, even though my grades were above average to do so. I slouched in my seat as the bus came to a halt. I looked up and saw the familiar apartment buildings. It was indeed my stop.
I took my time walking down the 4 blocks it took to make it back home. I always hated being alone with her, the silence was always awkward, and there was never anything positive to talk to each other about. I hope Nate comes home soon.
I walked up to the apartment to see the door open. I tugged on the screen door and to my surprise it was already unlocked. I creeped in and was met by the ghost of Satan himself.
"Well hello there. How was school?" Beatrice asked.
Something in my gut told me there was something wrong, she never asked me how was school. Not even once. What the hell is she up to now?
Not taking my eye off her, I said "It was alright." Slowly as I set my bag down on the couch.
"Seems to me it was more than alright."
Confusion and curiosity glided across my face. I had the slightest clue as to what she was talking about.
"What do you mean?" I managed to ask.
SLAP!
The sting of her slap sent my body back as I tripped over the old wooden coffee table.
"You know exactly what I mean. How was your conversation with Mrs. Winstead?"
Oh shit. I thought to myself as my eyeballs bulged.
When I stormed out of her office, I guess she must've made it her own point to call. Lord I knew this was gonna backfire.
"What conversation?" I tried to play it off.
SLAP!
"The conversation about your new living arrangement being 'horrible' wasn't that the word you used?"
She raised her hand up to slap me again.
"And don't you lie to me boy!"
I stood there fearing for my life, if I told a lie I'd be hit again, if I told the truth I'd still be hit. There was no trying to get out of this situation, that much was clear.
"Oh now you have nothin' to say? You had plenty of shit to say In her office today! Now I gotta scheduled appointment from Child Protective Services on Thursday to investigate some shit you done told them! I tell you what, you gone head and show yo' ass on Thursday if you want to, if you think you in hell now wait til' they leave. Them muthafuckas ain't gone help you Isaiah, whether you like it or not, your ass is stuck with me! Now get in your corner and get to that homework and I don't wanna see or hear a peep out of you for the rest of the night!" She screamed pointing towards the dark secluded kitchen area.
I walked away feeling defeated, I knew me talking to her wasn't going to work, but I figured I owed it to myself to try and seek help. Now I have to pretend everything is picture fucking perfect for the people coming in 3 days, i don't know how I was going to do it but I knew I had to.
I grabbed my book bag and got started on my homework, what little I could get finished before the sun set and it was completely dark in my corner. I heard Nate come in from football practice and
grab a drink from the fridge. He never even peeked around the corner to check on me. I heard him put down the divider as he flopped on the worn down couch and cut on the TV.
How did my life come to this?