25.

HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK! I heard my grandma outside beeping the car horn signaling to bring my ass outside.
I had what little bit of stuff I owned in a bag and was ready to go.
"Be safe bestfriend, call me when you make it there." Devonté said as he walked me to the car.
We exchanged a long hug.
"I will, and thanks again for everything." I said as a tear tried to creep it's way down my face.
"What do I always say Bestfriend?"
I smiled at him.
"That you got me always."
He hugged me again and closed the car door after I fastened my seatbelt.
"And you better never forget it! I love you best friend."
"I love you too."
I smiled at my grandma and asked, "You ready to go?"
"Let's ride, Clyde."
And with that, we were on our way.
To where exactly, my mind had no clue.

                                             •••••

     I watched as she made left turns, right turns, a couple U turns and so much more until we got to our destination. The scenery was so amazing, I hadn't seen anything like it. Every house on the street seemed bigger with each passing glance.
"I know I said we were going out to eat," she said interrupting my thoughts. "But I have to show you your surprise first, then we can go."
My mind had totally slipped and I had forgotten all about this alleged surprise. I wonder what it was.
"Okay." Was all I could muster until I saw whatever it was with my own eyes.
   My grandma's house was the biggest house on the block. She took pride in her home, everything was beautifully decorated, down to the hardwood floors, the admirable paintings that flourished the white walls, along with the glass cabinets that were filled with pictures of different people. Some were big some were small, as I guided through the house a picture stood out from the rest and I went to examine it.

"That was the day your daddy turned 21

"That was the day your daddy turned 21. Oh he thought he was so fly, so sharp, had all the little hoodlum girls chasing after him." My grandma chimed in.
"He looks—."
"So much like you? Yeah he does. When I first found out I had a grand son I jumped for joy! I thought to myself, 'I can leave this earth and be able to watch my son grow up all over again' that bitch Beatrice had no right to keep you, she knew you had family but never wanted to contact me and I had no clue how to get to you, until now. And now that I have baby," she said cupping my face, "I'm never letting you go."
Her words made me think back to all the horrible things I endured in that tiny cell block of an apartment.
"I'm glad your here now, grandma." I said gracefully.
"Me too baby. Ready for your surprise?"
My eyes lit up, finally the big moment.
She led me through a dark hallway and we stopped at the last door on the right side of it.
I looked at her with a puzzled expression.
She chuckled.. "Open the door baby." She said as she disappeared down the hallway.
I slowly opened the door, hearing the creaks as I pushed my hand slower and slower. Not knowing what to expect, I peek my head inside.
Nothing.
There's nothing here.
I eventually got the courage to push my whole body through, and what I saw almost blinded me.
"It took y'all long enough." The familiar voice said.
"DADDY!!!!!" I exclaimed, damn near jumping in his arms.
"The one and only. You missed me kiddo?" He said showering me with hugs and kisses.
"Missed isn't the word daddy." I said as I wrapped my arms around his body, and squeezed tight.
A rush of tears starting flow as I see my grandma by the door way smiling as hard as her gorgeous face would allow her.
I felt his strong arms wrap around me tightly.
"I'll never leave you again, babyboy. I promise. I got you always."