Take me to the church

"Moodie!!!" she called to him from the window. He looked up to see Ruby waving a white enveloppe at him from their kitchen window.

He dusted the dirt off of his beige trousers and stood, after what had been about an hour of being up to his elbows in the garden. He wiped at his forehead which his handkerchief  and shielded his eyes.

"What is it?" he called back.

"A letter from Anne, quick come in, let's read it".

This was Anne and Gilbert's wedding day and Ruby had been counting down the days  thinking about how wonderful it would have been to be there with her friends. As much as she'd had an enormous crush on Gilbert for so many years, she finally known what a gift it was to be loved entirely and she would not have ever dreamed of a different outcome. It was clear that Anne and Gilbert's love was unprecedented, something undeniable about their chemistry and devotion to one another that made everyone around them envy them.

Moody walked in to find a cold glass of lemon water waiting from him at the little table in the kitchen and Ruby waiting impatiently with the biggest smile. He grinned at her knowing this was the closest thing she could have to actually being at the wedding . He pulled a chair up close to her, put his arm around her and kissed her cheek. He rested his head against her shoulder as she carefully tore the seal away and eased the little beige stationary out of the enveloppe. Inside the gently folded page was a pressed flower, a small doily and a sprig of greenery.

My dearests, Ruby and Moodie,

Today, on this great day that fills my heart with so much love and joy, I am missing you. I wish you could be here with Gilbert and I to share in this remarkable day, but please know that I carry you in my heart every step of the way. I've enclosed for you a flower from the patch that will make up my bridal bouquet from Diana's parent's garden.  I've also placed a sprig of greenery that will decorate the tables and a little doily like the one that will accent our dinner tables. I know you were excited to know about the dress, and I hope to have a photograph taken to show you when you return from Bromont. In the meantime, I've traced the sketch of the dress that was found on the pattern Marilla and Mrs. Lynde used to make the dress. I have to say that putting it on for my fitting was nothing short of a fairy-tale, and if you can imagine it today, you'll know that the fairy-tale is coming true today. Oh, dearest friends, I do hope you are well, that you are head over heels happy and spending all your time doting on each other and enjoying your life as newlyweds. My heart is full knowing you are happy together and enjoying every moment of wedded bliss together. I am so happy to hear that your baby is growing well and safely inside of you. I look forward to meeting him or her someday soon and just know he or she will be blessed by the warmest of parents. Such a gift you have given to him or her.  Please give each other a hug and feel my love being sent to you today.

With all my love

Anne

As Ruby and Moodie placed the doily, flower and greenery on their kitchen table, Marilla placed a delicate white flower wreath over Anne's intricate hair style.

"Marilla, are you quite sure it's not too much?" Anne asked her. She was having a flashback to her first day at school in Avonlea when she had decorated her hat with brightly colored flowers, twigs and greenery.

"No Anne, it's just right". Anne had settled on styling her hair in a low chignon styled twist that was accented by the delicate wreath of babies breath, lily of the valley and pale pink baby rosebuds from Diana's mother's garden.  Once Marilla was done pinning some stray pieces of hair and securing the wreath, she placed both hands on Anne's shoulders and looked at her in the mirror of her childhood dresser. "You're the picture of perfection".