The Storm

Back in Avonlea, the wind was howling with the snow drifts coming in sideways. Most of the town had felt the turn in temprature and were hunkering down at home to keep safe out of the cold winds and snow. Any maritime Canadian knew when it was time to stay off the trails and roads because you could feel the humid frost in your bones before the snow came. Everyone but Moody, who seemed to have zero instincts when it came to nature. On his walk home from the church, Moody ran into the worst wind he'd ever experienced. It was wiping at his face while snow flew in from the shoreline. He knew it would be a brutal walk home as he pushed forward, holding his coat up against his neck to prevent the wind from blowing in. He could barely see a foot in front of him and felt his lips and nose growing numb from the cold air. Moody ducked into an alley to sheild himself from the raw fierceness of the wind. He rubbed his hands together to warm himself and looked out ahead to see the rest of the road. It seemed crazy to try and walk home in this storm, so his better sense took him back to the church where he could wait out the storm. He trugged up the steps of the little church and fiddled with the key when his eye caught sight of someone up the road. Squinting, he could see a small figure approaching. As the person came closer, he saw the raspeberry coloured coat that usually blanketed his fair Ruby.

"Ruby???" he shouted, squinting in the blowing wind.

"Oh my goodness, Moody...yes it's me" she said and she ambled up the stairs. Moody fiddled with the lock again and finaly got the door open.

"Come in" he said as he led Ruby to warmth.
"Heavens, I've never seen such a storm" Ruby said brushing off her coat and hat. She shook her head from side to side, letting the golden locks flow out from under the knit hat to fall softly around her shoulders. With a shiver, she rubbed at her arms and hands to warm herslef.
She was like a beacon of light to Moody. Everything about her was brilliant in his eyes, and he wavered before her, feeling like a 12 year old boy again. Darkness had fallen and only a low light from the window shed light on them. Moody walked over to the oil latterns and set them so a lovely golden light filled the room. The church was still warm, with wood burning in the oven.

"We should probably wait it out here" he said "can I make you some tea?"
"Sure" she said and followed him to the back of the church and behind the alter where a small space gave way to a medium sized room with robes, a long table and small counter with a water pump, a sink and kitchenware.

"I've never been back here- it's always been a mystery" she said smiling. "It's so cozy".
Moody grinned, feeling proud about the little secret he'd let her in on. "Don't tell anyone what you saw back here" he said with a smirk and Ruby grinned back at him as she took the space in.

He fixed them some tea and the two sat at the table in silence listening to the wind howling and sipping their tea by the warmth of the wood stove. An awkwardness filled the room, things unsaid were waiting to be spoken, but again Moddy faltered feeling unsure about himself with this beautiful girl. Moody had always been better at writing than talking and he had writtten her many a romantic message, but never had it ammounted to anthing when they were together. Finaly, giving himself a push that he needed, he started to build enough nerve to speak.

"Ruby, may I ask you something?"
She looked over at him soberly, guessing things were about to get serious now with Moody.

"Yes" she said.

"Well, when I saw you a few weeks ago, when you were upset on the porch, the letter you had was from James Andrews. Was something going on that upset you? I mean...I heard through the grapevine that he and Diana are to be married.. I'm wondering what was he writing to you about?"

She sat quiet for a moment. Moody had been someone she could open up to completely. He never seemed to pass judgement on her, even when they were kids, and he had been a great friend to her during her year away at Queens. Their endless letters to each other revealed so much about his character. He was strong, compassionate and wise beyond his years. He was the first person she had told about not wanting to be a teacher and he had encouraged her to follow her heart. He had told her that she only had one life to live and she better enjoy it and not do something she hated for the rest of her days. In one of his last letters to her last May, he'd said that even though they were far away and only putting pen to paper, he felt he was falling in love with her. Ruby had been so excited and flattered, she could hardly sleep the entire night. When she'd returned from Queens, she'd been open with her parents about not wanting to be a teacher and having a potential relationship with Moody. Only one of the two blows could be accepted by her parents. Ruby chose her well being with her career rather than the boy. She had thought with her head for once in her life.