Bright Morning

The Sunday of that weekend seemed never ending. Moody would be arriving early at Ruby's home to speak to her parents, despite the lack of sleep and exhaustion. Not a minute could be spared. Ruby herself had barely gotten any sleep at all as she had lay awake trying to reconcile the fact that she was pregnant. When Moody had arrived at 4:30 am, he hadn't woken her. She'd been staring at the ceiling in anguish trying to figure out what to do and his showing up at her window was like a beacon, freeing her from her mental anguish. For one, she could finally do something other than stare at the walls, and two, he had arrived with a solution to the biggest dilemma of her young life. She would indeed be a mother to her baby and Moody was volunteering to be the father. She knew that secrets, such as these, were considered a great flaw of humanity and that she would need to repent her whole life because of this, but she felt the tragedy of giving her baby away would be far worse a sin. This is what she consoled herself with and tried not to think too far ahead.

After Moody had left, she couldn't sleep at all and was sure he would come to his senses and change his mind. But instead, she saw Moody walking up the lane to her house with a large bouquet of flowers and she was suddenly a mess of nerves.

"Good morning Moody, what brings you by this early before church?" Mrs. Gillis said, as she scooped porridge into the children's bowls. Mr. Gillis sipped his coffee and stood to shake Moody's hand. Though they hadn't loved the idea of Ruby wanting to marry a minister in the beginning, they couldn't deny how kind and serviable he'd been to their daughter during her latest spells. He had made a point of walking her to and from work each day, and they had invited him to stay for dinner over the last few weeks and had gotten to know him better. He had a special affinity towards the children and always gave them special attention, listening to their stories or helping them build paper airplanes or wood stick towers and they all loved his company. Moody had even gotten up to help with dishes a few times which Mrs. Gillis found very progressive and charming. Today Moody looked a bit jittery and formal with his flowers.

"What brings you by Moody?" Mr. Gillis said. Moody took off his hat nervously and handed the flowers to Mrs. Gillis. "Oh how thoughtful Moody, thank you"

"Well, I wanted to let you know personally that I have been offered a position to lead a parish in Quebec. It's a two year appointment and it will mean that I will gain the much needed leadership experience required to possibly secure a Minister position here in PEI. I, uhhh, I've decided to take the position" he said quickly.

Mrs. Gillis looked at Ruby immediately, knowing this would be difficult on her daughter who had become very close to Moody in the last few years. She worried this would be another setback in her daughter's already fragile state. But this morning she was not looking unwell or sad and seemed almost joyful.

"Oh, Moody... well congratulations...I don't know what to say... we'll certainly be sad to see you go" Mrs. Gillis said coming over to offer Moody a warm pat on the arm.

"When would they see you leave?" Mr. Gillis said looking a bit disappointed.

"I'm not sure, I haven't announced my decision yet, but I would assume only a few weeks" Moody confirmed.

"Well, that is certainly sad for all of us" Mrs. Gillis said.

"Well this is why it was important that I see you this morning. Everything will move quickly" he walked over to Ruby and finished his sentence gently " and I would very much like to take Ruby along on this next chapter with me". As he said it, they looked at each other beaming and held hands, then looked back to Ruby's parents.

"I know this is rather sudden, and I don't expect your answer immediately, but I would like to ask for Ruby's hand in marriage. I just couldn't do this without her and being apart for two more years just seems too painful. We wondering if you might give us your blessing".

This was a rather unconventional way to propose indeed and Mrs. Gillis stared open mouthed at the two young people in her kitchen. Her daughter was being asked in marriage here in her kitchen. The moment was surreal and wonderful but painful all at once.

"Well... ahh, Ruby... what are your thoughts on this?" her father asked looking flush and in shock.

Ruby moved forward and held her dad in front of her. She hugged him and then looked up at him... "I would very much like to marry Moody and set out on this new adventure together".

Her dad melted slightly in front of her and then looked at his wife and the rest of the family who waited with baited breath. Though no one wanted to see them go, they certainly approved of having Moody join their family but dared not say a word until their head of household did. Mr. Gillis looked to his wife but couldn't read the emotions. He swallowed a lump in his throat and breathed out.

"I'm just shocked at how quickly this would all be moving. You'd be miles away and we would all miss you so much. But I can't very well stand in the way of your happiness and I suppose it would just be a train ride away".

Ruby jumped up and hugged her father, happy but also sighing quietly with relief. She looked at Moody who was smiling brightly and looking like he was catching his first breath of the day. She could not believe he had not changed his mind on his way home. He looked absolutely shocked that Ruby's father approved but also beamed and lunged forward to shake his hand. "Thank you so much Mr. Gillis, thank you both" he said as he hugged Mrs. Gillis. Ruby's siblings all ran over and hugged them, sharing in the congratulations.

" I suppose this will mean a very short and informal ceremony" Mrs. Gillis said. "We'll need to find you a dress in short order" she said to Ruby who was suddenly petrified at the notion of her mother trying to find a dress from her at 3 months gestation.

"Of course " she said nonchalantly. "We'll get that sorted later".

"Well I hate to run off already, but I need to help the Pastor prepare for mass" Moody said, placing his hat back on his head.

"Oh well, could you return for lunch so that we can discuss further?" Mrs Gillis pleaded.

"How about at dinner Mother, we'd very much like to go to Gilbert's after church to tell our friends about the news" Ruby chimed in.

"Ok, dinner it is. We will see you then" said Mrs. Gillis.

Ruby walked Moody out and down the lane so they would be out of ear shot.

"Oh my goodness Moody... are you quite sure about this? I can't believe this is all happening so quickly!" Ruby said looking flush and a little surprised.

"Yes, yes I'm sure, I didn't think this would ever be possible given the circumstances. I know it will be hard and we will have to deceive many people, but really it's the best of both worlds and I am so excited to start this new adventure with you" he said softly.

She smiled, incapable of comprehending his love for her. He was completely selfless and giving. Moody didn't see it this way. He saw it as everything he'd dreamed of happening... faster than he ever imagined. He always had a way of looking at the best in every situation. He would start a new life as a minister, with the girl he loved, she would get to keep her baby, he would be a father and the child wouldn't be abandoned. It was everything Moody had imagined, only reinvented with new rules and different characters. He pictured a snow globe with he and Ruby standing in the center. He pictured the little pieces inside shaking loose and falling in different places within it. He liked that it was unconventional, that their secret bonded them for ever, and that he would be contributing to two lives he already loved so much. Moody was tired of being lonely and looking for someone to feel grounded with. He was ready and this was it.

He kissed Ruby on the cheek and lifted her chin so their eyes would meet. "We're in this together Ruby- the three of us" . With this, he turned and walked toward the church. Ruby felt an overwhelming warmth spread through her and she honestly smiled for the first time in months. She touched the little bump that was slowly forming in her midriff and breathed out slowly.