Parting ways

Anne and Gilbert met the next day at the train station. He had already said his goodbyes to Bash and the family at the house. They knew that this departure today would be especially difficult. Anne had prepared herself mentally all day knowing this would be a dreadful day but counting herself lucky about the fact that they were not parting ways forever. They made quiet small talk but both felt the grief of the separation and it was obvious neither of them were ready to say goodbye.

"I'll see you at Thanksgiving" he said "you'll see, it will be here before you know it.
"Write to me as often as you can ok?" she said.

"I will! Take care of Matthew ok".

Their goodbye at the gate was called short as they shouted "all aboard".

Gilbert and Anne held onto each other for a short moment longer. When they knew they had to let go they looked at each other for just one last time. His eyes held hers and he ran his fingertips along the edge of her hairline, looking at the contour of her face. His fingers grazed the side of her cheek and rested by her jaw. His thumb gently brushed her bottom lip and he kissed her one last time. His mouth grazed hers with a kiss where his finger just had been. She melted and her hands moved quickly to the back of his neck and she twisted her fingers in his hair. She didn't care who saw them. She felt dizzy and alive. They finally pulled away and he looked at her one last time and placed a soft kiss on her mouth. Without another word, he turned and was off.  Then train pulled away and Gilbert could see her red hair for miles. As they chugged off into the distance, only then did he let himself feel the weight of the departure.

Anne walked home and thought about all she would miss. His gentle voice, his companionship, his kiss, his hands and mostly his smell.

He had given her his every day shirt to keep while he was away she folded it up tightly and tucked it close under her cotton jacket- she needed to keep that smell intact until the end of October.

Anne was grateful to be walking home alone.  She felt the need to cry and be sad and have no pressure to have to keep anyone else's spirits up. She thought about all she would miss and let herself weep helplessly on the long walk home.

                                         🖤

Diana would soon be leaving for Carmody so she and Jerry met secretly at a spot in the forest to plan out the next steps with excitement and nervous energy.  As they sat together on the wool blanket Jerry had brought, they were face to face, sitting criss cross. Their knees, less than 2 cm apart but not touching. They agreed they would write to each other every week. Diana had printed out the address the rooming house she was staying at in a letter she had prepared for Jerry. She handed him the thick sealed envelope.

"You can read this after I've left she said.

"What does it say?" he said smiling.

"You'll see soon enough" she answered shyly. She was suddenly feeling very nervous around Jerry and the very thought of him made her lose all concentration and focus.

"Do you profess your undying love for me" he teased.

"Jerry!"

He looked at her intensely and leaned forward. He was looking more confident than ever. She almost forgot her own rules, losing herself in his stare.  As he kept staring and leaning in, she  finally ducked sideways and he missed her face. Accepting the rejection, he reached for her hand. She said "no touching".

They had talked about their plans and about keeping things quiet for the next year while she away. The last few days, he was dying to get close to her & now that he made his feelings and intentions clear, all he could think about was kissing her and touching her. But she refused to let him and if he tried, she would swat his hand away. He took solace in seeing the she looked as forlorn as he did.