Imagine if...

On their last day together, Gilbert stopped into the Cuthperts to have a final check up with Matthew. Anne found Gilbert was taking an unusually long time with Matthew today. He  even called Marilla into the parlour and casually shut the door behind him. Anne was starting to worry that Matthew wasn't doing as well as they had previously thought. When they all finally emerged they all looked elated.  Marilla exclaimed "He's progressing very well Anne, so tonight we celebrate!"

"No pies" said Gilbert flatly. "I know he's doing well and we want to keep it that way".

Gilbert still had to send Dr. Ward a final report but shared that, overall, he was very pleased with Matthew's progress. His heart was keeping up a good steady rhythm and he was following all their instructions. He'd been good and scared this time around and had no intention of taking his life for granted. Anne was so relieved and hugged Matthew who seemed exceptionally happy and weepy.

"Awww Matthew, this is really great news, you should be happy" said Anne.

"We are, said Marilla, now scoot you two- you only have today".  Marilla smiled genuinely and proudly at them both.

"Ok - we'll see you a little later" Gilbert said while pulling Anne along.

"Goodness what's gotten into Marilla" Anne said looking back and seeing Marilla gazing at them from the porch.

"I guess she's relieved" he said.

Gilbert had planned a walk in the forest with Anne and she was simply to follow, which was beyond her because she loved to lead and her curious nature had her asking questions. Gilbert chose the woods because it was always her favorite thing to do by far. More than days at the beach, more than dinner parties or evenings out. This is because it brought out a quiet stillness in her that no other place could. She was most happy and breathing deeply when she was in the thick of the woods. They walked quietly for a long time, holding hands and quietly contemplating what was to come.

"I love the woods" she said.
"I know" Gilbert answered.
"It's the first place I found real peace" she said. "The orphanage was noisy, the city and the train station were busy and crowded, even the families I lived with were chaotic. When I came here, I found the forest and I found quiet and adventure and friendship and so much scope for the imagination". She breathed out, "I can't ever picture myself living far away from the forest, or in a city" she confessed, talking faster than she needed to.

"Well, that's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about today" Gilbert said.

"Oh no" she said "do you want to live in Toronto?"

"No, not really. I mean Toronto would give me a really great foundation and access to hospitals and research, but that's not what I wanted to talk to you about".

"OK, I'll stop talking, go ahead" Anne said feeling foolish.

He laughed, so she knew he wasn't annoyed with her and as he turned to face her, he walked backwards pulling her along with a mysterious and romantic look in his eyes. Anne was intrigued.

"Where are we going?" said Anne

"Almost there" he said "but you know it's about the journey not the destination! "

The spot he wanted to show her finally revealed itself as they arrived at a clearing in the woods to Miss Stacy's old cottage. It was a quaint little place in the forest that opened to large lot.

"What are we doing here?" she said as they approach the front porch.

"Remember the night we were here after the protest?" he said.