Avonlea Barndance Part 2

Diana scanned the room and slowly made her way toward the door while watching everyone in the barn celebrating. Many people rushed to the floor for a more popular dance and she quickly took the opportunity to slip out the door. She looked around the darkened property for Jerry and she made her way to the edge of the barn. She found him leaning with his back against the wall and approached, the two of them standing there in silence for a moment. Jerry was wearing a pair of navy pants, a crisp white linen shirt and the fitted gray vest that Anne had bought for him in Charlottetown. He looked like less of a farmhand and more of a gentleman. His outfit was complete with a tweed bowtie and round steel cufflinks and small handkerchief adorned his vest. The night was very warm with hardly a breeze to cool them.

"What is a Jerry ?"

He looked her seriously and said "you look very beautiful tonight"

"Oh," she said, confused, "thank you...but I don't understand, why are you out here? Amélie will be looking for you. You should really..."

Suddenly he put his hands to his head and turned his back to her in utter frustration.

"Jerry?"

He turned back again, looking pained. "Who is the guy you're with?" he asked, sounding exasperated.

"Excuse me?"

"No seriously, who is he, is he courting you? Is this your new guy now?" Jerry asked.

"I just met him here tonight, he's perfectly polite and gentlemanly!"

"So OK he's not, but he could be right. I mean how old is he? Too old for you right! He's been dancing with you all night though and you're laughing and..."

"Yes that's true and you've been having the same kind of fun all night too?" Diana replied quickly.

"It's not the same" he said and his face grew solemn, his eyes sad.

"I can't watch you like that! You, you're OK, you don't care about me that way. I don't matter to you" Jerry said, now pacing.

"What? Jerry!"

"I mean, he's touching you... dancing with you. The way he looks at you..."

"But you have Amelie in there with you. Why are you saying this? You shouldn't be looking at me and James at all" she said in a hurried whisper.

"You and James???" Jerry looked agitated now and whispered back "I hate that guy".

"Jerry don't be ridiculous, you don't even know him!"

"Neither do you, but look at you. You're cuddling up to him and..." he started but stopped himself.

"Jerry how could you say such a thing?"  She looked upset. Her soft face was red with anger and hurt.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry.." he reached for her then but she pulled her hand away.

"Diana I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm sorry". His hand went to his head again. "Seeing you with him...I don't know...I feel like I'm going crazy" he whispered.

"Why?" she whispered back. "What is making you so crazy?" She still looked so angry with him but he saw inside of her, beneath the anger, behind the question. They looked at each other for a long while without a word. He couldn't speak, he couldn't make his mouth form the words to express the complex emotions he was feeling. He was the same ridiculous kid he was last year, the one she turned away.

"Fine!" she said as she turned to walk away.
Quickly, without thinking, he grabbed her hand and turned her back to look at him. He was right there in front of her, inches from her face, holding her hand tightly. They both held their breath in the darkness with the full moon lighting their faces. She peered up at him defiantly and time stood still, suspended between them. Without thinking, he kissed her. Not like the kisses they'd had before. It was a kiss of passion, frustration and determination. It was unexpected and primal. His hands were on her neck, her jaw. She held his vest, pulling him to her. She'd never really been kissed until that moment. She felt it from her mouth right down to her toes. A warm rush flew through her, a current that electrified her and softened her all at once.