Diana

Jerry, Anne and Gilbert arrived in Carmody roughly a half hour after their departure and stopped at the nearby general store to ask where the Queen Elizabeth rooming house could be found. Diana had lived there for a few short months and had found the head mistress, Mari, very kind. She only allowed young professional women to stay with her and there were only ever 3 people living there at a time. She enjoyed the laughs they had together and the cozy Victorian home. It truly felt to Diana like a second family and she'd been very happy there, living a bit of an independant life, helping with cooking and cleaning. They hoped they could speak to the headmistress and get an idea of where Diana had gone to.

Gilbert returned with directions, and before long they pulled up in front of the pretty pale yellow house with ornate white gable peaks.
Anne and Jerry hurried up the stairs while Gilbert tended to the horses. A plump, short woman came to the door and peaked her head out, trying to avoid a draft.

"Can I help ye?"she said in a thick Scottish accent.
"Yes, thank you, we are looking for Mari?" Anne said.
"Yer lookin' at er"

"Oh good day Madam, we are looking for our friend Diana Barry, I believe she lodges with you".
"De-anna... oh yis... lovely lass she is" Mari opened the door letting Jerry and Anne come in. They smiled looking at each other, hoping that meant she was there.

Jerry pulled out the letter and put it into the woman's hands.

"But Madame, my letter says this... he pointed return to sender".

"Yis well, she left about a month ago, twas a shame to see her go. The job she had ended because Mrs. Foggerty, the regular school teacher was back to herself and feeling ready to teach. They had her come back to the school house at the end of November. Poor Dee was awful distraught about it".

Anne and Jerry's face fell.

"Do you have any idea where she's gone?"

"No I don't, sadly. A young lad came to get her and her things and she looked awful unhappy".

"A young lad... ?" Anne repeated. "Do you know who he was?"

"No, so sorry lass, but he was a fine looking fellow. Vera handsome, I'd say".

"Well, what did he look like?" Jerry said.

"He was attractive, well groomed, in a very fine lookin' suit and he was ever the charmer" she said with a wink.

Anne and Jerry looked at each other again, their faces flushed with anguish...

"Is everything alright Miss?" Mari said.

"No, we're very worried about her, did they saw where they were going?"

"Nooooo, sorrrry, they didn't but she did leave rather suddenly"

"Thank you Miss Mari, we'll be on our way".

"Ok then, best of luck to ya, and I do hope you find her well. Will ye let me know when you've found her" she said with a kind smile. Anne and Jerry agreed.

They met Gilbert at the sleigh. "She's left, and with a young man at that". Anne said to Gilbert.

"On to Miss Josephines then?" Gilbert said. "We may as well head there".

By then the wind had picked up and a snow fall had started.

"Just as Mr. Cuthbert predicted " said Jerry. "He feels it" he said tapping the side of his nose as Matthew often did when he spoke of insticnt. The three pilled into the sleigh and headed straight for Charlottetown with the snow accumulating faster than they'd seen all year.