What if...

Gilbert and Anne walked together quietly with the setting sun behind them. They approached Green Gables, climbing over the green hill and seeing it, in all it's beauty. The pink hue lighting the pretty white house as the sun went down. Gilbert smiled seeing it after many month of being away. It was something that just felt like home.

"I remember walking here that day when I was returning your pen. I had so much hope that I would find you here and that I might tell you what I was feeling. The house looked just like this. The sun, in the late afternoon, was warm and bright and the house looked like a safe haven". Anne remembered the day and how angry she'd been at finding the letter in her room.

"So much has changed since then" she said quietly and smiling at him. She felt his hand in hers and felt grateful that they'd found their way back to one another. Gilbert watched Anne's expression in the setting sun. Her long hair fell loose around her shoulders and blew softly in the breeze. She was even, and calm and this was the version of Anne that Gilbert liked best. The person she became in nature, on her horse, on a walk or by the sea. He loved all the things she stood for and all her strength, but when she was like this, he could have more of her attention. She was up the hill, just a foot away from him and she turned back to see why he'd stopped. Gilbert held her hand and pulled her in close to him.

"Before we go in there and give more of ourselves to other people, I just wanted to have a minute here with you".

She smiled a bit shyly and then wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him close to her. She knew what he meant. With everything they'd been working on between school and work, Diana and Ruby, they barely had time for each other and Anne wondered how couples with 8 children made time for each other.

"Soon Gilbert, things will get settled with our friends and we can start planning our own lives. What do you want to do first" she said with her face in his neck.

"So many things" he said.

The sound of his voice and the warmth of his breath shot goosebumps up and down her back. She kissed his cheek sweetly and laughed, pulling him along playfully, the way a child would have.

"Come on then" she said.

As they made their way into Green Gables, they smelled a delicious dinner and Marilla and Matthew jumped up with excitement to see them both.

"What a lovely surprise Gilbert, come sit with us for dinner." Anne had mentioned going to collect Diana, but not Gilbert so this was a pleasant surprise for them.

Matthew made his way over to Gilbert and hugged him genuinely. "I've missed you doc!" he said patting Gilbert on the back. He'd loved having Anne and was proud to have a daughter but he quite enjoyed talking to another man once in a while. Between his sister and Anne, he barely got a word in edgewise.

"Is Jerry home?" Anne asked, feeling the residual anxiety of having fought with her best friend.

"No, and I'm surprised he isn't home... he never misses a meal that one" Marilla joked. Anne wondered where Diana and Jerry had gone and why he wasn't back yet, as it was getting dark. She was hoping he would be home so she could double check if Diana was terribly cross with her.

As they dug in, Marilla asked Anne and Gilbert "So you two...have you started talking about plans for your wedding...there's not much time between now and August... you'd best start looking at your options sooner than later."

"Well there is something we wanted to talk to you about" Gilbert said. "Since we will be married in August, Anne would naturally come to stay with me at the cottage, but come the end of August, I'll be back at University and I would hate to think of her staying alone there. We wondered if you'd be opposed to her coming back to stay with you at Green Gables for the school semesters".