Chapter 9

Mehek nervously went through the wedding rituals pretending as Nehal. She covered her face with the veil and Mansi tried to hide her identify citing the customs. In whim of a desperate moment, Mansi pushed Mehek to take place of the bride but as hours progressed their fear became gruesome. There was no sign of Nehal and she was not answering their calls. Manasi felt like a jolt of thunder striking her when Priest asked to bring the bride. "Where is Mehek Di?", Mohit's voice startled Mansi. She gulped hard and gave a nervous smile, "She will be here somewhere". Mansi looked eagerly looked at the gate anticipating arrival of her daughter but was again disappointed. Soon she had to bring Mehek as the bride and made her sit beside Shaurya.

Although she couldn't see Mehek's face, Manasi could feel her pleading eyes. Those were imploring her to stop the wedding. But situation had gone beyond her control. Mansi was too scared to act. When priest asked the bride to extend her hand, Mehek shivered. Mansi took Mehek's hand and nervously placed it on Shaurya's palm. Soon holy mantras were chanted and groom & bride were asked to take seven rounds around the fire. 

Mehek was unable to act sensibly. She wanted to save her family honour and Nehal's future. Mansi's accusations managed to make her feel guilty and responsible. Deep down she still believed that Nehal will keep her promise and arrive for sake of her parents. While taking the final round, she saw Azaan who was waving at Shayara, summoning her to him. For Mehek, he seemed to have made up his mind and found his match. A shattered dream, she thought sadly. She sobbed silently while Priest declared "Vivaah Sampanh Huva" (Wedding is completed).

Shaurya felt a jolt of excitement as he got married to the love of his life. He was eager to see her face. Her tiny soft palm was trembling when he held it. She appeared to be extremely edgy and silent. Shaurya promised himself that he will make her fall of him and she will reciprocate the same feelings. Priest gave him the mangalsutra and asked him to tie it around the bride's neck. While he tied it around her neck, her veil slipped away and he could glance sight of her plump lips and cute nose. 

Few tear drops fell on his hands. 'My Ladoo, how I wish to kiss away your tears?, he mused,  "From this moment, I won't let tears adorn your eyes. I will keep the world at your feet", he promised himself. Finally groom has to apply vermilion on bride's hairline. While he pinched the vermilion and put his hand beneath her veil to reach her hairline, Karuna cried out, "Shaurie wait". Everyone looked at the groom's mother who appeared to be confounded. "Shaurya, she is not Nehal", Karuna cried out aloud.

Shaurya was aghast by his mother's words and looked at his bride intently. Ofcourse it is Nehal. My Ladoo. I can't make a mistake, his mind was puzzled. He expected his bride to deny the allegation and confidently confirm her identity but she remained mum. Soon Sharma family, other elders and guest gathered and repeated the same. "This is not Nehal"...."Where is the Bride?"....."Did they trick the groom to marry the wrong sister"... These comments floated through the atmosphere while Shaurya stood absolutely stunned. Finally he asked in dismay, "Who are you?". His bride didn't reply but continued weeping. "Who are you?", he asked vehemently. "She is Mehek", a familiar voice answered him. Shaurya turned to find his friend, Raziya Aunty's son Azaan. He looked shocked and devastated.

Next few hours were purely chaotic. Shaurya understood the whole scenario. The one whom he got enamoured is actually the elder daughter of Sharma family. An illiterate orphan, born to black sheep of Sharma family. His mind was in turmoil. He didn't know whether to be happy that finally he got married to the woman of his choice or feel betrayed by the cruel game played by fate. He knew he will be laughing stock if it was revealed that he actually liked Mehek and not Nehal. Regardless it was too late to act. The marriage house had already turned into a battle field where both sides tried to get justice. He noticed that except for his puny new brother-in-law, none tried to comfort Mehek. All were trying to scold her and declare that she is a shame to their family. At the end, being a prominent social figure and family friend, Raziya Begam pitched in for a truce.

"I agree that it is indeed unacceptable turn of events. What Mehek did is wrong?", Raziya words hurt Mehek but she suppressed her sob. "However, it can't be denied that she is now married to Shaurya. So I appeal to Karuna and Khanna family to accept her", half of the crowd agreed while other half was aghast. "Accept her? This cunning vixen into my son's life. She is of no match to my son", Karuna scoffed at her friend. "Karuna, please understand. This is for the best. Mehek is a good person and will keep Shaurya happy", Raziya tried to reason. 

"I have lost faith in your judgement, Raziya. You made me believe that this family is respectable but they aren't. One daughter ran away from her wedding and other cleverly took her place. I can never accept this marriage or her", Karuna fumed in anger. Shaurya wanted to pacify his mother but he knew she was agitated for good reasons. "Please don't break this marriage. It will spoil our family name. This girl and her mother had always pushed us into misery. Don't punish our family for her sin ", Mehek's grandfather appealed before Karuna with folded hands. "I will not accept this bad omen as my son's wife", Karuna rejected Mehek vehemently. Her bitterness cringed even her son. Shaurya realised that it was time for him to act but he was ousted by Azaan.

"Mehek will not become daughter-in-law of your family even if you want to. Don't think that she is alone and helpless", Azaan took a stand for Mehek and acted as her knight. Shaurya felt a pang of jealousy but could only blame his lameness. "Azaan!!!", Raziya rebuked him but he didnt falter.He faced the crowd and declared, "I accept Mehek and will marry". The entire crowd including Mehek and Shaurya were shell shocked. But Mehek's gaze fell on Shayara who looked devastated by his decision.

"That's enough Azaan. You have proved yourself as a good friend. But Mehek is already married and needs her husband. Your chivalry will not suffice her future", Raziya tried to manage the situation but Karuna mocked her, "Why are you adamant to push her into my son's life when your son is ready to accept her?". Raziya remained silent as she had no defense. "Cat got your tongue", Karuna mocked her, "Just accept it Raziya that Mehek is not worthy", Karuna again humiliated Mehek. "Ma, please", Shaurya softly requested her to cease the drama but she was in no mind to step back.

Raziya looked at Mehek pitifully. She realised that Mehek was no longer weeping as her tears have dried. She stood amidst the crowd like frozen doll. "Ammi, please", Azaan appealed softly to her, "this is our Mehek. Someone whom you love just like Kainat. How much more should she endure? Can't you for once let your heart win?". Raziya closed her eyes and prayed for a second. "Fine", she sighed because she cared deeply about Mehek and was unable to bear anymore insults on her.

Azaan's joy knew no bound as he moved towards Mehek. She appeared to be totally lost when Azaan extended his hand to her. He was a bit disappointed by her unresponsiveness. Azaan was about to hold her palm forcefully but Shaurya slapped his hand away. "I can take care of my wife, Mr Azaan Mirza", Shaurya told determinedly. He stood between Azaan and Mehek. He faced Mehek and applied vermillion on her hairline thereby accepting as his wife.