Chapter 36

"Di, I swear, I never knew about your pregnancy. I blindly believed Karuna Aunty when she told that you both were living unhappily, trapped in a loveless marriage. I was misinformed that Azaan was ready to accept you if you divorce Shaurya. ", Nehal knelt before Mehek holding her knees, "Please forgive me", she begged for forgiveness. Mehek didn't utter a word for few moments. 

"Leave me, Nehal", she said softly. When Nehal didn't move, she raised her voice, "LEAVE". "Nehal, please go to our room", Vicky asked his wife. Nehal held her sobs while running away from them. Mehek was breathing hard while Vicky stood beside her patiently. He didn't speak until she calmed herself. "They both deserve it. Fate is fair and I am glad that they both are punished. They are ruthless creatures who earned every bit of their damnation", Mehek told hoarsely. "Please don't say that", Vicky sounded hurt. "Why can't I?", she spat at him, "I would have had a fulfilled life, if not for their vile acts. A happy life with Shaurya and our....our...", she was unable to continue, recalling loss of her child. Years of therapy and self-adorned cold attitude were slipping out of her hands. Mehek quickly sought out her tablets from handbag and gulped it down to avoid suffering another panic attack.

"Are you okay, Bhabhi?", Vicky asked her out of concern. "Can I ever be?", she taunted him, "Tell me where is Shaurya?". She collected her papers and stood up to leave. Vicky quickly explained his melt down after he found about Karuna Ma's truth and his exile to their village with Dadi. "I need his signatures. It is urgent so please help to arrive at the location", Mehek told plainly."Are you still going ahead with your decision to leave him?", Vicky was puzzled. Mehek nodded, "All said and done, it is clear that we both failed. Our marriage was a sham and couldn't withstand trial of time. I have moved on, Vicky. I could never consider Shaurya as before. We always lacked Trust. Besides, death of our child will always be among us. I am sure Shaurya will also feel the same and prefer a closure".

Vicky smirked and Mehek didn't try to decode him. He quickly arranged their driver to take Mehek to their native place. "Awara is still with Bhai. He will help you out", Vicky sighed, "But be ready for a shock , Bhabhi. He is not the same man, he used to be". "Neither am I", Mehek retorted confidently.

The journey was long and Mehek was thankful. She got enough time to think and plan her encounter with Shaurya. Earlier, it was easy for her to face him. All she could feel for him was disgust and contempt. Now after knowing that he too was a victim of an elaborate plot to separate them, she felt bad for him. Still a reconciliation was out of question. She wanted to remain level headed and talk to him in peace. Mehek's decision didn't waver. It was difficult for her to give another chance for them. Once she did give him a second chance and all she achieved was heartbreak and agony. It took a long time for her to pick up the pieces. Now, she wanted to spend rest of her life happily with Yuvaan. She was not very hopeful but wished Shaurya will understand her and agree for a mutual agreement of divorce.

Awara was surprised but  to happy to see Mehek. She stood still before portrait of Dadi and took a minute prayed for her soul. The house was well kept and Awara led her to guests room. Mehek explained that she will be leaving soon and wanted to meet Shaurya. "He stays home rarely, Mehek Ma'am". "Where is he?", Mehek wondered.From Vicky, she knew that Shaurya was taking care of farming and cottage industries that Dadi had started. "Sir has changed a lot. Dadi took him here so that he will be able to recuperate himself. Yet he remained alone and depressed. Then Dadi passed away. It was an another unexpected blow to him. Shaurya Sir started to indulge in alcohol and drugs. He doesn't eat properly. It's been long since I heard him talking for more than five minutes", Awara informed sadly, "He is insomniac. Day time, he spends time taking care of plantation and crops. It helps to keep himself busy. But sleep eludes him at night. When it becomes unbearable, he seeks solace in the den of junkies. Once he runs out of money, he will return back. Few weeks later the cycle repeats". Mehek drew a sharp breath, trying to digest the news. "Everyone tried their best to stop him but failed. Vicky Sir has to step in to handle business when Karuna Ma'am got sick. Slowly Shaurya Sir became a lost cause while others got busy in their life".

When time had tried Mehek for the worst, she fought back and reborn like a phoenix. Atleast fate mercifully granted her an Aunt, who genuinely cared for her. But Shaurya pushed himself deeper into the pit of torment. He was betrayed by his own mother and abandoned by his wife. The child they lost was his too but only he got accused of the entire blame. Mehek had learned to let go of her past mistakes and look forward. Yet today, she had a tough time to walk on her principles and rules. She could easily throw out the papers at Awara and get it signed. Shaurya had no case since no court will ask her to stay with an alcoholic or drug addict husband. Her newly found boldness urged her to be selfish and be free swiftly. Somehow, she was unable to overlook that Shaurya is still tormented by ill deeds of a selfish mother who didn't think through before acting.

Mehek was unable to blame Shaurya anymore. Her real culprit was already slammed with severe punished at the hand of destiny. Loss of her child weighed on her shoulder but at the same time she wanted to move ahead by adopting Yuvaan. Mehek was baffled and lost. But she was longer the meek woman who used to break down and lose herself at every juncture. She is stronger and matured now,  so she decided to take things into her hand. "Awara, let's bring Shaurya home", she told him firmly.

Awara parked the car before a dingy building. It was a look alike of a pub but neither high ended nor down marketed. It was afternoon but still people of all ages were in it. Stench of alcohol and smoke, nauseated her . Yet Mehek walked confidently with Awara trailing behind her awkwardly. The serving room was dark with little ventilation and light, as if to provide perfect environment for their inmates to enjoy booze and weed. Amidst the depressing vibes, Mehek found him or rather the ghost of the man whom she had once loved with all her heart. Shaurya.

She saw a hefty young man with tattooed sleeves, rudely looking down at Shaurya. The guy was trying intimidate Shaurya but he smiled like a fool. The man pulled him up angrily, probably scolding him but Shaurya didn't seem to mind or gave him any attention. A woman who seemed to be working at the pub walked beside them. She tried to appease the man and gestured Shaurya to leave. 

Mehek gasped in dismay when Shaurya stood up but failed in his attempt to stand and fell forward. It pained her realise that he had little energy left in him to carry his own weight. Mehek saw the man trying to pull out something from Shaurya's neck. A fraction of a second, Shaurya's demeanour changed. He swiftly pounced on the man and fight ensured amidst them. Mehek realised that Shaurya was no match to the heavy built younger man who was soon bashing him left, right and center.