Chapter 31

Karuna briskly walked towards Shaurya who sat at the corridors of emergency section. He appeared to be lost and broken. She kept a consoling hand on her son's shoulder, waking him from his trance. "Ma", he called out and wept on her shoulder, "They have taken Mehek. It's been so long and I haven't heard a thing". Karuna consoled that Mehek will be okay. "I love her, Ma. I will be finished if I lose her", his untimely revelation shook Karuna. Did her son fall in love with Mehek? How could it be possible? Nehal was his choice, his love and not Mehek. Is it the sudden shock or plain guilt? , Karuna was stupefied yet still comforted her son. Eventhough she disliked Mehek, Karuna never wanted to cause any harm to Mehek's life. She too prayed for Mehek's safety.

Finally Doctors came out and called out for Shaurya. "Mr Khanna, your wife is fine now. We will shift her to observation room soon. In few hours, she will gain conscious", Doctor informed and Shaurya thanked him. "But we are sorry to inform that she had suffered a miscarriage", those words were a blow to Shaurya and also his mother. Shaurya sat dubiously while Doctor consoled him. 

Meanwhile, Karuna was unable to react. Being a mother, she was expected to pacify her son but she felt like being hit by a lighting. "Mr. Khanna, your wife needs absolute support and care. Peripherally, we don't see any serious physical issues now but it can only be assured after further tests. Anyways, she will be emotionally torn and needs you", Shaurya nodded to Doctor's advice still trying to cope with the loss of his child.

Karuna quickly escaped to the nearby restroom and splashed water on her face. She couldn't yet come into terms that Mehek was carrying Shaurya's child, her grandchild. "Feeling good?", a taunting voice came from behind. Nehal was standing behind her. Karuna was unable to face her. "They were in love. Expecting a child. She was carrying the heir of your empire, your grandchild. Still you have to ruin it all", Nehal accused her. 

"Lower your voice", Karuna commanded her but Nehal smirked, "You forced me into his dirty game of yours. It was foolish of me to trust you blindly. I can't keep quiet since blood of an innocent is my hands too". Nehal was devastated that she had destroyed Mehek's life. "Leave immediately. You will get the money I promised. And don't you dare to betray me before my son", Karuna warned her. "Don't worry, Mrs Khanna. I have no intention to come before your son or my sister. But mark my words, one cannot escape from Karma", Nehal left her with those hurtful words.

It was post-midnight when Mehek finally woke from her drug induced sleep. Shaurya was beside her, holding her hand carefully in his palms. But he was the last person she wanted to see. She pulled out her hand forcefully, waking him from his slumber. Before her could even utter a word, she spoke weakly, "leave". He spoke earnestly, "Mehek, please just listen to me once . Give me some time. I will make everything right. Trust me". "TRUST YOU? I would rather die", she smirked at him. 

Mehek winced at immense pain but managed to spew venom at him, "If not for my baby, I would have ended my miserable life". Shaurya was stunned and didn't dare to converse further. She went on, "You are free, Mr Khanna. Go live your life, however you want and with whomever you wish. Me and my child will never be a hindrance. So please leave us alone". "Mehek, please. I love you and just want you. None else matters in my life", he told her emotionally. "Stop those lies. I don't want to HEAR you. LEAVE ME ALONE", she started to thrash around and pull out the tubes connected to her body.

Shaurya desperately tried to control her but failed. A nurse suddenly rushed to her room and witnessed the commotion. She too tired to control Mehek but couldn't. "Ma'am, please calm down. You have suffered a miscarriage recently so your body needs rest", Nurse told her firmly. Mehek swiftly became still and quiet. "My baby", she touched her womb and tried to comprehend the sad news. 

Shaurya closed his eyes in agony as he couldn't do anything to comfort her. He expected Mehek to break down and weep bitterly but she remained silent. "Ma'am, please lay down", Nurse helped her to bed but suddenly Mehek started to gasp for air. "Can't breathe...Can't.....bre...breathe", Mehek managed to utter to the nurse. "She having a panic attack", Nurse shouted and quickly pressed the emergency button. Soon doctors swarmed into the room and one of the staff took Shaurya outside the room.

A week later. "Mr Khanna, your wife is not showing any progress. Her emotional issues are severe and affecting her body too. She needs psychiatric help", Mehek's doctor told Shaurya. "Anything you recommend Doctor. We are ready to take Mehek to a specialist or even fly oversees. We want her to get her fine", Karuna who was with Shaurya told the Doctor. "If necessary then I may propose such extreme measures but mean time Mehek needs utmost care from her family and professional help". Doctor looked on to Shaurya, "Mr Khanna, I am least interested in your personal problems. But your wife is slipping into depression and your presence is aggravating it. Mayhap, it will be better if you stay away from her for a while". Shaurya had expected similar blow after Mehek's frequent panic attack during his visits. He helplessly agreed. "Mehek will get better. This hard time will be over soon", Karuna comforted Shaurya and Doctor too nodded. After realizing that Shaurya was always in love with Mehek, Karuna took efforts to bring Mehek back to normalcy and supported Shaurya. She nursed a guilty conscience but didn't confess her guilt to Shaurya.

Mehek slowly opened her eyes. Drugs were induced into her to counter her attacks and she felt terribly ill after their effects wear off. "Di", a soft voice called her and she looked to its source to find her brother. "Mohit", she whispered his name and held her arms to him like a lost child. "Di", Mohit was saddened by her broken state and engulfed her in his arms. "I lost my baby", she wept against his chest. "I am sorry, Di", he rubbed her back to give comfort, "I am here. All will be fine. Please don't lose hope, Di". Mehek sighed against him. Slowly her sobs reduced to snivel and she talked to Mohit. Shaurya watched it from afar and felt relieved that Mehek eventually came out of her shell.

Mohit had a hard time controlling himself from punching Shaurya. Still he didn't fail to notice the effort Shaurya had taken to fly him down and be with Mehek. Besides, he couldn't ignore the truth that Shaurya is tormented by turn of events. Sonal had taken them both to cafeteria to talk and sort things amidst them. The story Shaurya shared and the one Mohit heard from Mehek were utterly different version. But being a loyal brother, he still believed that Shaurya was hiding facts from him. 

"Mehek was weak. She was already under lot of stress. I think eventually her body gave up. Probably nature took its course and ended an unhealthy pregnancy", Sonal tried to console both men. "It wasn't nature, Sonal. Di was subjected to severe mental agony that led to her breakdown. Someone was constantly giving tips to Di regarding his affair", Mohit fumed. "There was no affair", Shaurya corrected him. 

"Maybe from your perception but my Di witnessed otherwise. You cannot deny that Nehal was with you since weeks and you kept her  hidden even from Di", Mohit accused him vehemently. "She was just my colleague. An efficient employee being part of my team. It was purely professional", Shaurya tried hard to keep his tone low. "Ofcourse", Mohit mocked him, "And professionally you used her services for your gain while neglecting your pregnant wife. At the end, my Di lost her baby". "It was my Baby too", Shaurya shouted emotionally. "Enough, both of you", Sonal gestured them to cool down, "Guys, we all are hurt and worried. But Mehek suffered the worst. So let's focus on her betterment rather than anything else". Sonal hope to have managed to push some sense into both men.

PRECAP : New character alert 😉.                                                      

"Hello Mehek, You may not recognize me so let me introduce myself", she sat beside her, "I am Yasmin Qureshi". Mehek stiffened hearing her name, it was necessary to jolt her memory. No wonder she looked familiar as she had same features as her mother. "I know who you are, Mrs Qureshi. My mother's step sister". Mehek didn't hide her dislike and Yasmin sighed in dismay.