Chapter 35

"Nehal is married to me. Getting my signatures won't grant you divorce from my brother", Vicky told in half humour. Nehal excused herself with reason to bring tea. Mehek was a bit overwhelmed by his revelation, still she remained collected and seated herself again. She started to relax when Vicky chit-chatted with her. Vicky was among few people from Khanna clan who was good to Mehek. She didn't feel any ill vibes but was glad to see him again. Yet it left a faint distaste in her that Vicky got married to woman who was once with his cousin.

"I am so happy to see you, Bhabi", Vicky held Mehek's palm. She didn't want him to address her as Bhahi. "Please call me, Mehek", she told him. Vicky shook his head , "You are still my brother's wife". "Only on papers", Mehek turned to Nehal who came back with tea, "which will also be severed soon. Where is he?". "Who?", Vicky acted mischievous. Mehek smirked, "Mr Shaurya Khanna". "He is not here. Infact I have rarely seen Bhai since Dadi's demise", his words sounded normal yet bitter.

Mehek was sad to hear about Dadi and spoke softly, "Condolences". "She had a good life. Unlike her younger generation", his hints didn't miss Mehek. "I will take my leave", Mehek tried to leave as if on cue. "Just spare me few more moments. I want you to meet someone. A person who doesn't have much time left", Vicky found a trace of irritation on Mehek's visage so he requested, "Please she is suffering a lot. Your visit can bring her a little peace".

Mehek couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the person lying on the bed. Karuna Khanna, one of the most elegant and powerful woman Mehek had ever known. She was lying as a weakling with aid of many life supporting devices. "Cancer. Last stage", Vicky explained in few words. "Karuna Aunty, look who is here", Vicky spoke to her softly. She opened her eyes with much effort and looked at Mehek. Once she recognized Mehek, tears started to flow from her eyes. "Aunty, please control yourself. Finally, Mehek Bhabhi came to visit you. Just like you have prayed", Vicky tried to pacify her. Karuna  extended her shivering hand to Mehek. In reflex, Mehek grabbed it and smiled softly. Mehek was baffled that Karuna Khanna who once solely wanted her out of her son's life, wished to see her. She was taken aback when Karuna spoke feebly, "Please forgive me".

Mehek told her honestly, "you never wronged me; always honest and straightforward. Infact, I admire you". When tears still made way through Karuna's cheeks, Mehek added, "You never masked your feelings to deceive me. I have no ill feelings towards you". Karuna still wept while gazing at Vicky. He nodded understandingly and gestured the nurse to take care of Karuna. Mehek returned a passive smile until they exited the room.

"Where is your brother when his mother is so critical?", Mehek was visibly disappointed , "Is he trotting around the globe to conquer new realms for his business?". Vicky laughed softly, "Bhai, hasn't set foot in office or managed work since the day you left". It was a shock to Mehek. Shaurya Khanna was always dedicated to his work and Khanna empire. "Then where is he? Or what is doing? Wh*ring around, moving from one woman to another?", Mehek spewed in anger. 

"My brother is a one woman man, Mehek Bhabhi", Vicky told firmly. Mehek laughed out loud sarcastically, "Obviously you know nothing about your brother and...", she looked at Nehal and kept quiet. She didn't want to bring our skeletons out of closet and spoil Vicky's married life. Nehal may have been a bit*h but she isn't one. So Mehek chose to hold her tongue. After a brief pause, Mehek talked, "Please help me to get Mr Shaurya Khanna's signature in divorce papers".

"Di, please wait. I want to talk", Nehal begged when Mehek got up to leave. "Well, I am least interested", Mehek chided. "She is desperate, Bhabhi", Vicky intervened, "Her guilt had cost us heavily. She suffered two miscarriages in past years". Inspite of her animosity, Mehek felt sad for Nehal. Mehek knew the pain of losing a child. She never wanted even her worst enemy to go through the same agony.