Chapter 34

3 years later.

Mehek was sipping bitter coffee taken from the coffee machine. Just then her team was summoned for important meeting. Mehek was part of the marketing team in a busy firm and doing well for herself. She wasn't the most brilliant but not the least performer either in her team. She earned a decent living and stayed in a rented studio apartment. Yasmin kept her under close watch yet Mehek preferred to live alone. 

Mehek worked hard while studying and later at job. She never bothered to look back. None from her past life bothered her and she didn't contact them either. Initially, she feared Shaurya would track her and would plead or force her to take him back. But as days passed, she understood that he had finally let her go and moved on. With professional help, Mehek was able to overcome her emotional issues and look forward for a bright future.

It was a Sunday and Mehek had invited Yasmin Maasi for a late brunch. Mehek had left cooking and her kitchen had next to nothing. She depended on takeaways and office canteen for her daily meals. Hence Yasmin brought home cooked meals which Mehek served on the table. "You invite me very rarely. So I am anticipating some good news", Yasmin told her, "Is there anyone special in your life? Perhaps a man?". Mehek laughed at her query. 

Yasmin watched her niece closely. Her daughter Noor and Mehek looked similar. Both had taken good looks from their maternal grandmother. But they were like chalk and cheese. While Noor is outgoing and witty, Mehek can be termed as reserved. Yasmin wondered whether incidents of her life made her cold & numb. When she had brought Mehek with her three years back, she was broken yet had spirit to rebuild herself.  With time, Mehek had become confident and bold, still a strain of sadness reflected even in her most pleasant smile. Yasmin believed that with an understanding partner, Mehek will be able to come out of her shell. But Mehek remained reclusive, focusing on her studies and now on her job.

"Well, you are not entirely wrong as there is someone", her words made Yasmin happy, "You have met him, Maasi. His name is Yuvaan", Mehek told her, "He is so cute and adorable that none can resist him". Yasmin knitted her eyebrows in confusion hearing Mehek. She still remained baffled but quickly recalled Yuvaan, "You mean the toddler whom we saw at the orphanage. Isn't he the same boy with hearing disability?". "Yes, Maasi. I want to adopt him", Mehek shared her decision. Yasmin stayed thoughtful for a second before speaking, "It's a noble thought and I appreciate it. Still i would suggest you to move on and have another marriage. You can have your own children then". Mehek walked away in disagreement, "I need a child in my life and Yuvaan is the one. There is no room for marriage in my life". Yasmin perceived that there is no point arguing with Mehek and decided to support her.

The head of the orphanage welcomed Mehek's interest to adopt Yuvaan. Mehek and Yasmin regularly visited them and contributed handsomely for the well-being of kids. "Mehekji, we need some documents to prove that you are single. Either divorce papers or some legal agreement where  your spouse conveying that you are not together anymore", she asked. "Can't we surpass it?", Yasmin asked. They all were aware of Yasmin Qureshi's influence and would have agreed to bypass formalities. But Mehek didn't want to utilize her Aunt's name unnecessarily. She agreed to bring the papers soon.

"I can ask my lawyer to draw the papers and send it to Mr Khanna", Yasmin proposed and Mehek nodded. On their way, Yasmin suggested, "Mehek, adopting Yuvann is a huge step in your life. Infact, a new chapter. Won't it be better to have a proper closure of your past?". Mehek nodded again and listened to her Maasi, "Perhaps you should deliver the papers personally to Mr Khanna and get his signature. Thereby, leave all baggage behind and come out of it clean". Mehek sighed at her suggestion and agreed to think about it.

A week later   Mehek stood at the gates of Khanna mansion. Despite her former apprehension, Mehek felt strong and confident to face her past. She boldly informed the gate keeper that she came to meet Mr Khanna and gave her card. She was led inside while one of the maids asked her to wait since Mr Khanna is yet to arrive from office. None of the staff were familiar to Mehek. "Is Karuna Ma...", Mehek corrected herself, "Is Mrs Karuna Khanna at home?". The maid realised that Mehek knew Khanna family personally. So she smiled and explained "Karuna Madam is really sick and never takes any visitors. Nowadays household is managed by her daughter-in-law. The younger Mrs Khanna". 

So he moved on and got married again. Good. It will be easier to get his signatures, Mehek mused. She amazed herself that she didn't feel any malice or sadness. She had trained herself well to numb her mind and be immune to emotional blows. "Ma'am, Mrs Nehal Khanna is here", maid announced arrival of her mistress. Mehek quickly turned and her gaze clashed with her sister, whom she assumed had already taken over her role in both Khanna mansion and life of Shaurya.

"Di", Nehal was unable to believe her eyes. Mehek's visit was totally unexpected and she didn't know how to react. Moreover, Nehal was worried about Mehek's reaction. Nehal knew that she deserved Mehek's wrath. Her folly had destroyed her sister's life. Nehal cautiously walked towards Mehek. "Di", she addressed her sister again and carefully touched her hands. Nehal expected Mehek to withdraw or worst lash a tight slap on her. But Mehek did nothing and gave a plain smile, "How are you, Nehal?". 

"I...I am....I am good", Nehal fumbled. Mehek studied her for a second. Clad in an elegant saree, adorning nuptial chain and vermillion;  Nehal played the role of Khanna daughter-in-law to perfection. At the same time, Nehal had a tough time to come in terms with the new avatar of Mehek. "You look different", Nehal managed to convey. "Do I? I guess, time had left its mark on me too", her words indirectly pierced Nehal. 

Both sisters sat and tried to talk. Mehek seemed unaffected while Nehal struggled. "Mohit will be so happy to hear about you", Nehal looked around for her phone, "Last month Sonal gave birth to their son". Mehek was happy to hear about them. Nehal showed their photographs on her phone. Mohit and Sonal were those few people who still mattered to Mehek. Hence their reference made her uneasy. She couldn't forget that during her worst time even they were not able to support her properly.

But it was nothing compared to Nehal's nervousness. "Relax, Nehal. I am not her to cause any trouble", Mehek spoke plainly, "I am here to get your husband's signature of few documents". Nehal was astonished and became wide eyed. Mehek continued, "Shaurya Khanna may have married you but legally I am still his wife. So I am here liberate us from it". Nehal quickly jumped from her seat, "Di , what are you saying?". But Mehek gestured her to stop talking and pulled a file from her bag, "Get me your husbands signature on these papers".

"Divorce papers", Nehal gasped studying the papers. "Rest assured, I don't want any share in his wealth. It's a simple mutual application where both parties had agreed to part ways. You can get it verified with your lawyer", Mehek explained to Nehal. Her sister stood frozen unable take eyes of the person before her. She was not the same Mehek whom she knew. Nehal tried hard to find her sister but failed. Nehal wanted to convey her truth to Mehek but she was unable to even utter a word to the stranger standing before her. Tears started to stream down Nehal's eyes. "I guess these are tears of happiness", Mehek smirked at her,"I will be really grateful if you could get your husband's signature soon".

"I don't think, it will be of any use", a voice came from behind. Nehal and Mehek turned to face it's owner. Both women took his name in unison, "Vicky".