8. Fat chance

(Benjamin's POV) 

I knew he couldn't track me if I took the main street. After I'm sure my smell is masked by the humans, I take off and run. I have no idea where I am but I make my way towards the closest bus stop. 

I wonder if it is a good idea to go home. Does he know where I live? Does he know who I am? 

My money is buried safely in the woods so I could just go there and flee. But I don't want to leave this town and my job at the book store. It means everything to me. It is my safety and my only door to a normal life. 

I love the stories of heroes and idiots and the way the books take me away from everything that is my life, my past. 

Just when the bus rounds the corner I notice a large figure down the street. It looks just like him. The same height, the same build, the same hair color, and though he's wearing sunglasses it looks like his face. 

The resemblance is so strong it makes me quiver in fear. What will I do if it is him? He will kill me. He will hurt me so badly I will beg for death. I shudder as he comes closer. The bus drives as slowly as a slug down the busy street while I freak out and try to make myself as small as possible. 

He has a grey t-shirt on and blue jeans. Oh no! It is him! 

I hide behind a tall woman in heels. She's big enough for me to hide my thin body behind. He's almost half the way here when I realize it probably isn't him. The closer he gets the surer I am.  

The man looks kind and happy as he walks down the sidewalk. People don't cower as they pass him and he's smiling. Also, there's no way he would come here. This town is the territory of The Blue Kings pack and the feud between The Hellhounds and The Blue King goes way back. That's why I chose this town in the first place. 

I sigh in relief. There is no way he would risk his life like that. There's no way that's him. Fat chane. Nuh-uh. He just wouldn't. 

The bus finally stops in front of me and I make my way on with a short glance his way. Just to make sure. In that moment he takes his glasses of and I meet the eyes of the wolf who's caused all of my suffering. 

Ross stares at me with surprise before his look changes into a hellish grin. I hurry onto the bus and look out the window and see him rushing towards me. I'll die. This is the end, I think and will the bus forward with my mind. Just as he reaches the vehicle the doors close and we move. 

He stares at me, perplexed by the fact that he's found me but the look in his evil eyes is thrilled with malice. For some reason he decides not to run after the bus. He just stands there staring at me through the window. I know he will hunt me now. 

As we round a corner at the end of the street he picks up the phone and I assume he's calling the others, telling them where I am. My body shudders in fear and I do my best to keep it together until I get to the motel. 

As soon as I lock my door I break down. A horrid scream rips through my throat and I wail uncontrollably while hyperventilating. 

I can't stand. My body falls to the ground and my hands meet the floor with painful smacks. Someone bangs on the wall yelling at me to shut up but I can't. I'm so scared I can't breathe. A buzzing in my ears take over as I lose my vision. 

They are coming to kill me. They will rape me, beat me up and torture me until I'm not a person anymore. 

"Kellan!" I cry out before I can think of why I would call his name. The darkness takes over and I'm lost. 

I ran, but they caught up, obviously. The first one tackles me to the ground. It's wet and cold, the night a mean darkness around us. 

"Where you going, trash?" another ask, giving me a hard kick in the stomach. I gasp. 

"Why would you run from your family?" the next one wonders, jerking my head up and giving me a hard blow to the chin. I feel my jaw crack. It hurts throughout my head and I make an awful scream.

"No one but we would take care of someone as filthy as you, Benny. No one will ever love you. But you don't have to worry about that. Let us love you, Bennyboy" Ross says with an amused voice and picks me up by the shirt. 

It tares in his grip before he throws me back to the ground. I lose my air and cough but my ribs hurt like nothing before. I cry and whine as pitifully as possible but they all just smile. 

"Let us love you, Benny" they repeat as the tare my clothes off while landing blow after blow. My stomach hurts so bad that I feel sick.