25. Real families fight during dinner

(Benjamin's POV)

"What on earth did I do to make you dump Mr. Moody on me?" Kell complains to Eric when he arrives at Grandma's. Eric laughs at him and says hi to Grandma. 

Me and Winter are already sitting at the table sipping applejuice from fancy glas on foot. The table is set with the nice china and there is two bottles of wine. Grandma tosses a box of matches to Winter. 

"Light the candles dear" she says. I can tell it's an old par of candelsticks. Everything around here feels like an old family. It's like there is love inbedded in the walls. I take another gulp of applejuice. 

Tonight's dinner is lasanga with pickled carrots. Grandma serves me first and then Winter, then Kellan, making Eric wait for it, even though he's alpha. 

"The alpha shouldn't eat until his whole pack is fed, or something like that?" Eric teases Grandma as though she was about to say just that. She scoffs and gives him a big serving. 

"I've bought your favorite wine, sweetheart. A shame that you and Kellan are driving" she says sweetly. 

"Just pass me the applejuice, please" Eric says instead and Kellan laughs. I swallow hard, feeling my mouth go dry. I've never had alkohol before... but I already feel like a freak so I don't say anything. 

"Open the bottle, love" she orders me and I grab the first one. It's heavy

With inexperienced hands I unscrew the cork and pour for her. She smiles and Winter reaches me his glass. I fill it until Eric makes a displeased sound, causing Winter to make a displeased sound when I stop. 

"Oh, stop it. He can have a glass. He's nineteen for Christ's sake" she bickers and grab the bottle form me to fill Winter's glas up. "Give me yours, love" she orders and I nervously reach her the glas. The red liquid smells like sour candy dipped in lemon juice mixed with kitchen spray. 

In the corner of my eye I notice Kell watching me with a worried look. I make him worry even at a family dinner. In that moment I feel so inadequate that I take a big gulp just to make him think I'm not a traumatized, incapable victim. 

It's vile. The wine is bitter and sour, and tastes like juice made of rotten fruits mixed with detergent. It burns my throat and makes my tongue curl but my face doesn't admit that. This is nothing compared to the things I've been made to swallow

Kell seems to calm down at my ability to drink and I let out a small, relieved breath. 

"Not more than one glas, though" Eric nags Grandma and Winter reatches his tongue out. 

"I think you should listen to Grandma more" he informs Eric. 

"Stop arguing, Win-win" Eric says and Kell tunes in.

"She's trying to get them drunk" he muses as though it's an awfully evil deed. 

"Boys are nothing but trouble, why didn't I get any girls..." she mutters and Kellan laughs. 

"But you love trouble" he taunts and smiles his best puppy smile at her. 

I sit there smiling and drinking my wine while they bicker. They really love each other. 

"Why are you drinking wine, by the way? Is there a celebration going on that I'm not aware of?" Eric asks Grandma. 

"There is" she says and they all go scilent. I wait with horrific excitement. 

"We are going to have a ceremony" Kellan states with a proud voice, but I can tell by his tone that he's nervous too. His ears are a bit red and he's smiling like an idiot while Eric pounds his back.