CHAPTER ONE: Lindenberg

"What?!"

Thomas was in his estate in London. With Elizabeth and Andrew out of the Brompton estate, he found he saw his mother and Mary too much. So two years ago – one year after Andrew's wedding – he bought his own estate in the outskirts of London. Here he could do whatever he wanted without being bothered by lady Anne and Mary's opinions. They still came to visit him – as did Elizabeth and Andrew with their families – but now he had more time on his own.

And it had served him well. He had often called on his uncle Charles, for they both had an interest in music. They would invite each other for concerts all over England. And when his uncle had left again, he could take home all the lovers he wanted without having to be sneaky about it.

"You are not jesting?" he asked.

That morning, a man had called upon him to talk about uncle Charles' inheritance. The man had passed away without marrying or having children. Thomas was quite jealous of his way of living, yet he knew his family would want for him to marry. He tried to push it away every time one of them brought it up, for he did not want to be tied down to one woman for the rest of his life.

He had not only seen his brother and sister find love, but also some of his friends. Yet he did not have time for that. He had a career ahead of him – a big and important career. He was an investigator, working on the case that convinced him to become one.

Young child beggars were being taken off the street by a man, lord Colston, to be sold as slaves or abused. An easy case, it would seem. But the opposite was true. The lord of Colston was good at hiding his tracks. Whenever he took children away from their 'homes', he made certain no one was following him and no one could recognize him. Together with Hugh Fredericks, the lord of Westwood, he tried to pin lord Colston to the facts. But so far, they had not yet succeeded.

"I am not, my lord," the man told him. "Lord Charles has written in his will that Lindenberg goes to you, Thomas Brompton."

Thomas could not believe it! Uncle Charles had loved him so much, that when he fell ill, he changed his will and gave Thomas his estate and matching title. He was sad for the great man's passing, but he was thrilled with what he had received. Twas not every day that a man became a lord.

He had always envied Andrew for having a title, and the man had not even like it! Then Elizabeth married a lord and got a title as well. And now, finally, he too had received a title. He now was the lord of Lindenberg.

The estate was only a day's ride away from London, in the centre of the small town of Lindenberg. It was a calm surrounding where he would be able to hide away and work quietly if he needed it. Uncle Charles had been living there, so the estate was well maintained. Yet Thomas knew there were some things he would to change. But those were no worries for now. Now it was time to celebrate.

Once he had signed the papers that officially made him the lord of Lindenberg, he left his London estate and went to the pub. The old fir had become the pub he frequented whenever he needed a drink and some company. It was only a few minutes walking from his estate, so he was seen there often.

He found an empty seat around the table were his friends were playing poker, but did not play along. Twas not because he had just received a lot of money, that he ought to waste it right away. He ordered a drink, and told the owner the drinks of his friends were on him.

"Something to celebrate, Thomas?" Everett asked.

Thomas nodded at the man. "I certainly do. I have just inherited an estate."

"An estate?"

"And not just any estate. The Lindenberg estate."

Everett whistled. "That is not a small property. Does it not come with a title as well?"

"Yes, it does. So now you ought to call me lord of Lindenberg," he jested.

"No way I am doing that," Everett told him. "Thomas you are and Thomas you shall remain."

The men around them laughed at the remark, but Thomas did not feel insulted. He had a title now, tis true. But he did not suddenly feel more like a lord then before. He was still just Thomas Brompton. Only now, he had two places to hide out at.

He remained inside the pub for a few hours before he decided it was time to go home. He was a little drunk, but sober enough to find his way home and walk in a straight line.

The streets were dark and empty. The evening had fallen and many families were inside their estates now. Spring was coming around, yet the nights were still long.

He was about to pass a woman when she suddenly stumbled and fell. He caught her in his arms before she hit the ground. She looked at him.

"My apologies, my lord." She gave him a sweet and mischievous smile. "I have lost my way, and I am quite cold. I was wondering if you could... warm me up, if you know what I mean."

He raised his eyebrow at her. "Do you mean..." he tried, but could not finished his sentence. The woman was certainly looking very seductive at him, but he could not believe his fussy mind. Would a woman truly offer herself on the street to the first stranger she passed?

"Yes," she said, nodding her head. "That is exactly what I mean."

Thomas recognized her, but his foggy mind could not put a name to the face. He also did not bother. If this woman wanted him, he would give in. But he had a few doubts.

"Why would I trust a woman who offers herself to me in the middle of the night?"

"I have no illness, my lord," she said, her sweet voice shivering a little. "I am perfectly healthy, so you do not have to worry about your health."

"And I am just to believe your word?"

"You may inspect me, if you do not believe me."

Thomas nodded. He could agree with that, yet he still did not fully trust it. "What will it cost me?"

"Nothing," she answered immediately. "I would not only be pleasing you, but also me." She walked closer, her mouth almost touching his. "I want you."

Thomas groaned and knew there was no way he would not give in to this woman. She clearly knew how to seduce a man with merely a look.

Eventually he looked at her and gave her his best smile. "Then I shall warm you up all night long."

The Broken Daylilyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें