CHAPTER NINE: The lord of Colston

Thomas was looking through the window, watching his wife roam the garden. For the last couple of weeks, he had often watched a white dress and a red ribbon adorn his gardens. Those were also the only times he saw her. He had not spoken to her or asked the staff about her. When she had asked for a lady's maid, he had made certain the best woman was there to serve her, but she had had not further requests. She had not requested his presence, not even a specific meal she wanted to eat.

She was like a ghost in his house. Constantly there, but he never saw her. She might think the same of him. He had been hiding in his room and in his study. Mostly he asked for his food to be delivered to him, on other moments he ate in the dining room when she had already finished.

It was not a nice thing to do, but he still needed time. Twas not every day that your life changes in the form of having a wife and soon a child. He had barely accepted it all, let alone that he knew how to live with it.

Twas true, he had not yet tried to acquaintance lady Madilyn, but in his defence, she had not tried it either. Certainly, twas his house and he was the man, but he did not feel like he ought to be the one to make the first move. Was it not she who had taken the lead when he got her pregnant?

With a sigh, he turned away from the window and walked to his desk. All over its surface were pieces of paper with scribbles and official documents. He had gather a lot of information about Arnold Robinson, the lord of Colston.

A few years ago, Thomas had seen him on the street. Colston had approached child beggars and convinced them to enter his carriage. Then he drove away with those children and never returned them. Thomas did not believe the man gave them food and shelter, but feared he might use them for bad things.

He had no prove of anything, merely a gut feeling that told him Colston was a bad man. He had followed him once, after he had taken more child beggars. But once they were outside London, it was easy for Colston to see a carriage following him. So that night, Thomas had to return home with a bloody lip, some bruises and damaged ego.

Andrew had told Thomas to stay away from Colston, but he could not. Especially not after Hugh Fredericks, lord of Westwood, had approached him. The man was an investigator and believed in Colston's sinfulness. Though Hugh could not say what prove he had, it was enough to convince Thomas to become an investigator as well. Hugh had educated him and made him the investigator he is today.

Once he had earned his badge, his new friend had been allowed to inform him of everything they had gathered: Colston had recently bought a second home. They had not find anything more.

Thomas was disappointed at first, but found his courage when he realized that now he was part of the investigation, and he might uncover something.

There was not much to go on. Lord Colston owned the coal mine near London, making him very rich, influential and elusive. The fact that he bought a second home was nothing to prove he was a bad man. The only thing they could prove, was that he was the last person to speak to the missing children. But they were beggars, so no one was truly bothered about their disappearance. Not even their families – if they had any – would report them, for they knew nothing would change.

So Thomas and Hugh had gone out onto the streets and questioned everyone who was willing to speak to them. They had hoped on more people with information, for they feared they were missing out on somethings. But what they did discover, gave them a more proper reason for the investigation than their gut feeling.

The beggars knew lord Colston. He would come by during the day and give them food. Everyone on the street saw him as a good person. It made Thomas and Hugh doubt, but when they scouted the street overnight, they saw that same so-called kind man take away those child beggars. And the next days, their families were in distress and worried about their son or daughter.

Thomas and Hugh believed the man took the children to his second home, but they had no prove of that. They did not even know where the home was. He had signed documents, proving that he bought a second home, but not even the town he had listed was true.

So the two investigators were left to wonder and look through every paper they had – again.

Thomas startled and was brought back to the present when he suddenly heard music. Someone was playing on the piano, and it was a rather sad song. Even from this far, Thomas could easily hear the great abilities the piano player had.

He remained quiet in his chair and listened to the music, allowing it to take him away from reality. He closed his eyes and felt the music touch him inside his heart. The sad song was unfortunately perfect for this moment. It spoke of emotional pain and cluelessness. Of depression and bad feelings. Everything Thomas was feeling at that moment.

When the song ended, Thomas called for the butler. And before the man could arrive, a second song started playing, just as sad and heart-breaking as the one before.

"Who is playing the piano?" he asked.

"Lady Madilyn, my lord," the butler answered.

Thomas raised his eyebrows, surprised. He did not know she could play the piano. But if he was honest, he must admit he did not know anything about her. Should he really be surprised she plays an instrument?

But she was good. She was really good. Thomas had been to concerts with his uncle Charles, but lady Madilyn seemed to be just as good as those professional musicians.

Before he knew it, he stood up and walked to the music room. The door was closed, but when he opened it, she did not seem to have heard it. She kept playing the song, passionately enjoying the music. Her whole body was moving like she was in a daze while playing.

Thomas stayed in the doorway, watching her and enjoying her music. When the song ended, the entire house suddenly seemed so quiet. He thought that if he would drop a needle, it could be heard up the stairs.

"That was beautiful," he said. She startled at the sound of his voice and turned around. Her face showed fear.

"My apologies, my lord," she said. "I did not mean to disturb you."

"No, no, it is alright," he said as he took a few steps inside the room and looked around. Now what? he wondered. What was he supposed to say or do now? He let his gaze go around the room, avoiding her and pretending to be busy inspecting a room he already knew by heart.

She suddenly stood up, gave him a small curtsy and walked to the door. He did not mean to chase her away. He merely wanted to tell her she was a good musician.

"Can you sing?" he asked quickly, before she had disappeared from the room.

She turned to him and shook her head. "I do not sing, my lord."

"That is a pity," he said. "It would go well with your music."

She bowed with her head. "Thank you, my lord."

Her eyes did not meet his right away, for she was avoiding him. Was she frightened of him? Did she want to leave the room because he was here now?

"Please," he said, moving his arms toward the piano. It was an unspoken question to play the piano again, but she shook her head.

"No, I am finished now. Again, my apologies for disturbing you."

"You did not. I liked it. You are good."

She gave him a small smile. "Thank you, my lord."

Then they stood there, both feeling uncomfortable at each other's presence. Thomas wanted to say something – anything to make this moment more bearable. But he did not know what. How did one get to know his wife? How did one become acquaintance with the mother of his future child?

So he merely nodded and said: "you may go, if you want to."

She gave him another curtsy, then left the room.