CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: ... in love

The carriage ride to Lindenberg was much different from the rides Madilyn had shared with Thomas before. Usually they would be silent and not talk to each other, have secret contests of ignoring each other the longest.

But this ride was happier and louder. Not only would Gwendolyn and Hazel sometimes prove they are alive, Thomas and Madilyn would actually speak with each other. More than that, they would make each other laugh and feel happy.

They had the entire day to talk about small things and big things. They both spoke of important moments in their lives and expressed the emotions they felt, but they would also try to calm down the twins when they started crying.

Madilyn must admit she truly felt like a mother taking care of her children with her husband by her side. And twas very nice to know that that husband was not a man she feared.

Finally, when the sun was starting to set, the carriage stopped in front of the Lindenberg estate. Madilyn smiled at Thomas and could not help but say: "back at our honeymoon."

He looked at her, confused by her words. But then he remembered when he told her during their first visit that she should not expect a honeymoon better than this, and his face fell in pain. With that pained look, he told her: "I promise I will give you the honeymoon you deserve."

"That is not possible," she said, "for we have children now. And I refuse to leave for travels without them. Thus we cannot have a trip with just the two of us, thus no honeymoon is possible."

"Then I shall take you – and the children – on a travel some day soon." He gave her a reassuring nod before he stepped out the carriage, leaving Madilyn to look at him. She bit her lip as she could not stop the smile. It grew and grew when she realized what a great man Thomas was. He was a good father, but also a kind husband. And thus – for the first time since a very long time – she had hope for a good future.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The first day in Lindenberg had passed by too fast. Thomas and Madilyn had showed Gwendolyn and Hazel around. The two girls would not remember their tour, nor would they need it, for they would come here often, but twas a great time for the four of them.

Thomas and Madilyn had looked for the best chamber to turn into the children's room. Twas one in the middle of the hallway, between his chamber and hers. They had also visited the music room, and Madilyn had played a few songs on the piano while Thomas held his two daughters on his lap.

Madilyn hoped she could raise them both to love music like their parents did. Thomas enjoyed listening to it, while Madilyn loved playing it. And she hoped that Gwendolyn and Hazel would love both.

The gardens were very nice as well. Twas the middle of the summer, so it looked at its best. Madilyn found it a big transformation from the last time she was here, mostly because now she felt happy. But the hot sun and the greens were very lovely.

In the evening, the rooms were ready, and Gwendolyn and Hazel could sleep together like they had in London. With one last lullaby, Madilyn put them to sleep before she joined Thomas in the sitting room with a cup of tea.

"I must admit," Thomas said as he looked around, "the house in London looks much better."

"You do not like Lindenberg?" she asked surprised.

"I do, very much so," he reassured her. "But I like our estate in London more for it is lighter."

"Tis quite dark here, is it not?" He looked at her and nodded. "But no worries. I shall change it like I changed the London estate. Only the music room will stay as it is."