CHAPTER FOUR: A lifechanging surprise

With a black cape over her shoulders and the hood over her head, Madilyn walked toward the big, dark green coloured house, hoping no one would recognize her. Twas quite useless, for soon she would be recognized by everyone. But the longer she could live in hiding, the better it would make her feel.

Not that she truly could feel good.

It had taken her a few weeks before she could convince herself to step up to the house and admit everything. She had already walked toward the estate before, but she had never entered. She had just looked at it and doubted her choices.

She scoffed. What choices? In truth there were none. Either way, her life was doomed. She was going to live horrible and unhappy. But at least she could ask for a chance to pretend to be happy and have a good life. That would be better for her and... it.

Taking the last few steps, she slowed down. She had never gotten this far before. She felt her resolve waver. She could always do this alone. She had enough money, she was rich. It might not last forever, but she might have enough to make her survive while adapting to her new life.

My parents would feast on me, she thought. Eleanor would feast on me. Whatever happened now, whatever she – and he – decided, her parents would be happy she left. Of course, they would pretend not to be, but Madilyn would not believe them!

Unfortunately, everyone of the ton would. Of course, for who is more likely to lie: a wealthy and successful lawyer, or his twenty-two year old unmarried child of the female kind?

Before she could change her mind, she knocked on the door. Darn it. Now her faith was sealed. She had no control over it anymore. Why did it feel so bad to be doing the right thing?

Mayhap that was because the right thing was telling bad news. Mayhap because the right thing was a lifechanging event no one was waiting for. Mayhap because she had no control over the outcome anymore. It was all in his hands – a random stranger who did not expect any of this.

Suddenly the front door opened and a middle aged butler stood before her. "Can I help you?" he asked.

She tried to calm her breath while keeping her face hidden in the shadows of her hood. "I wish to speak to your master."

She saw the man try to look underneath the hood without looking too suspiciously, but she turned her head so that he could not.

"I am afraid he has no time for you," the butler eventually said.

"Please," she said before the man could turn away. "I truly need to speak with him."

"What about, if I may ask?"

She pursed her lips together and felt tears sting in her eyes. But she swallowed and pushed them away. "That is quite personal."

"I cannot allow you entry if I do not know who you are or what you want."

She understood. In her house, the same rule applied. She assumed that rule applied in every household of middle or high class. But right now, she hated the rule.

"Then tell him," she tried, "that it is one of his lovers."

She saw the butler doubt before he nodded his head. "I shall ask the master if he has time to see you."

The door closed and Madilyn was left alone. She found herself doubting again. Should she leave now and pretend this never happened? The butler had not recognized her, so his master would not be able to call on her.

But she had come so far now. She was ready to admit everything and tell the truth. She feared it, but was it not what she ought to do? Mayhap he could help her.