Chapter Two: Something New, Something Old

I'm on cloud nine as I write my name down on the paper that says me as the Karasuno Volleyball Junior Manager. I practically skipped over to the bench to watch the rest of the boys match after handing the form into Coach Ukai and that teacher, I think his names Takeda Sensei. Back at Aoba Jōsai I never really got a chance to be a manager because of Oikawa Tooru's fangirls.

The coach always thought that because I was a female and that wanted to be manger I was completely head over heels for Oikawa.

Oh how wrong he is.

I don't disagree that Oikawa's good looking, he's absolutely gorgeous. BUT he's also one of the most annoying human beings I know.
Being childhood friends with Iwaizumi Hajime has led to crossing paths with Oikawa more times than I can count, or that I'd want.
Around others he can be completely obnoxious and annoying. However, when he's just with Iwa and myself he can be a really nice person. I don't blame him for having a facade, he's expected to be perfect all the time by a lot of people, his fan girls mostly, but I just wish he didn't always act the way he does.

Thinking about that does remind me, I should text Iwa about the whole manager thing. He's gonna be so proud I finally made it on a team, almost as proud as my family will be.

I go to pull out my phone but put it back when I remember where I am and what I should be doing.
I observe the team playing their practice match and even see Hinata and Kageyama's awesome quick attack. The speed of it is absolutely amazing. I don't even think Oikawa could even set as accurately as Kageyama does, at least not as frequently.

I notice the tall blonde boy with glasses doesn't put in 100% effort when he plays. It would be alright if he was conserving his energy for later but he always plays at lower than his potential. It really bugs me. I might say something to Coach Ukai if he keeps doing it.

I watch as the bald one called Tanaka spikes the ball onto the gym floor near the rear of the court. A libero could have easily saved that but for some reason they don't have one on the team.
From what I can remember, they had one last year who was really good but he seems to be missing. Now that I think about it they're also missing that other player who would be a third year too. Curiosity takes the better of me and I move closer to Kiyoko to ask.

"Hey Kiyoko, didnt you have a libero a few years back?" I say to her quietly as she turns her attention from the game to me.

"Your right, we did. He's a second year named Nishinoya Yuu but he's currently suspended from the club." She says

My eyes widen. 'Suspended?'
"How did he get suspended from the club?" I say warily.

"After we had a particularly bad match the Ace, Asahi, and him had a intense argument. Nishinoya broke something and the principal got involved. Then he suspended him." She says her eyes glazed from explaining the past.

"Wow" I can't help but say out loud and Kiyoko nods her head in agreement. That gives me an explanation to why there's no ace on the team as well as no libro.

'What would Seijō be like without Iwaizumi?' I wonder.
Even if it was only for a while I dont think Oikawa would be able to deal with his team. And I definitely don't think the team could deal with him.

Coach Ukai blows the whistle signaling the end of practice and tell the boys to pack up and get changed. I help out Kiyoko with packing up and cleaning the gym. Not knowing where things go in the storage room want fun but I figured it out eventually. Soon everything is packed up and I begin to walk away ready to go home.

"Hey Fujioka wait!" I turned around to see Sugawara and Daichi coming toward me. The rest of the team following after them.

"Where are you going?" Sugawara asks.